Mass Dispersion of Observable Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass dispersion around Earth and whether the mass of each section of the observable universe would be equal, as well as the idea of having an observed universe in the youngest galaxy on the "edge" of the universe. The conversation also touches on the idea of the expansion of the universe and the concept of the "edge" of the universe. The experts in the conversation clarify that there is no edge or center of the universe and that the big bang was not an explosion in space.
tamousfleck
Does anyone know of any data regarding mass dispersion around Earth?

That is to ask (more toward my interest), if the observable universe was broken into equal 3-D sections like "North to Northeast" "NE to E" "E to SE" and so on... would the mass of each section observed from Earth be equal, for all intents and purposes?

Does anyone have any theories as to what the affect would be of having the observed universe of a planet residing in the youngest (most recently formed) galaxy on the "edge" of the universe?

Space news on Phys.org
(1) if the observable universe was broken into equal 3-D sections like "North to Northeast" "NE to E" "E to SE" and so on... would the mass of each section observed from Earth be equal, for all intents and purposes?

(2) Does anyone have any theories as to what the affect would be of having the observed universe of a planet residing in the youngest (most recently formed) galaxy on the "edge" of the universe?[/QUOTE]

(1) yes
(2) I think you're confusing apparent age of galaxies with actual age. The galaxies that we see on the edge of our OU are just as old as ours is, it's just that we SEE them from 13+billion years in the past, so right now, if we could be instantaneously transported to those galaxies, we'd see a U that looks just like the one we see from Earth (other that local variations). To them the milky way looks like it's young.

Well, I have a problem with asking a question that isn't really my question, so for that I apologize. But actually I wasn't talking about galaxies at the edge of our observable universe, though that is interesting in itself because I'm curious to know our universal position.

My interest in asking that question was about the dynamic of an expanding universe and if the expansion of the universe is so fast or its curvature (something I don't understand, still) or some other phenomenon actually makes every observed universe the same.

Because in my mind if we transplanted one of our telescopes into orbit of a planet in the most recently formed galaxy and it could see objects that were billions of years old in all directions, then it seems plausible that it could see the edge of universe (whatever it may look like).

Of course that leads me to another interesting idea: whatever the expansion of the universe entails, how close to the edge can galaxies actually form?

tamousfleck said:
...I'm curious to know our universal position.
The centre. As is everything else.

tamousfleck said:
... it seems plausible that it could see the edge of universe (whatever it may look like).

There is no such thing.

tamousfleck said:
Because in my mind if we transplanted one of our telescopes into orbit of a planet in the most recently formed galaxy and it could see objects that were billions of years old in all directions, then it seems plausible that it could see the edge of universe (whatever it may look like).

The most recently formed galaxies are in the center of the universe. As Dave said, EVERYTHING is (and what he means is "from it's own point of view") at the center of the universe. There is no edge.

You seem to be making THE fundamental mistake in cosmology of believing that the "big bang" was an explosion that happened at some point in space and moved out from there. It was not and did not. You need to read more VERY basic cosmology. I do not mean that to be rude, it's just an observation.

Related to Mass Dispersion of Observable Universe

What is mass dispersion?

Mass dispersion refers to the distribution of matter throughout the observable universe. It is a measure of how matter is spread out on a large scale.

How is mass dispersion measured?

Mass dispersion is measured using various astronomical observations and calculations. Some methods include measuring the redshift of galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and observing the gravitational lensing of light.

What is the significance of mass dispersion?

The mass dispersion of the observable universe provides important information about the structure and evolution of the universe. It can help us understand how galaxies and clusters of galaxies are formed and how they are distributed throughout the universe.

Does mass dispersion change over time?

Yes, the mass dispersion of the observable universe is constantly changing. As the universe expands, the distribution of matter also changes. This is influenced by the force of gravity and the expansion rate of the universe.

Are there any theories about the cause of mass dispersion?

There are various theories that attempt to explain the mass dispersion of the observable universe, such as inflation theory and dark matter theory. However, the exact cause is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.