Markov Chain - Time Reversibility proof

In summary: Let's call the components of ##\mathbf{Px}## by the generic name ##p^x_i## where ##i## is the index of the state. You must have seen these formulas:$$p^x_i = \sum_{j \in S} p_{ij} x_j$$$$p^y_i = \sum_{j \in S} p_{ij} y_j$$where ##p_{ij}## is the probability to go from state ##i## to state ##j## in one step.So, can you write the components of ##\mathbf{Py}## in a similar way? In other words, what is ##[Py]_i##?
Jimmy Zhan

Homework Statement

Let X = {Xn : n ≥ 0} be an irreducible, aperiodic Markov chain with finite state space S, transition matrix P, and stationary distribution π. For x,y ∈ R|S|, define the inner product ⟨x,y⟩ = ∑i∈S xiyiπi, and let L2(π) = {x ∈ R|S| : ⟨x,x⟩ < ∞}. Show that X is time-reversible if and only if ⟨x, Py⟩ = ⟨Px, y⟩ for all x, y ∈ L2(π).

Homework Equations

X is reversible if and only if

qij = pij
where qij is the transition probability from state i to state j in the reverse chain.
pij = pjiπj / πi
πipij = πjpji.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried equating ⟨x, Py⟩ = ⟨Px, y⟩ and subbing in the definition of the inner product as defined in the question. However, that doesn't seem to lead to anywhere.
Thank you for all those who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Zhan said:

Homework Statement

Let X = {Xn : n ≥ 0} be an irreducible, aperiodic Markov chain with finite state space S, transition matrix P, and stationary distribution π. For x,y ∈ R|S|, define the inner product ⟨x,y⟩ = ∑i∈S xiyiπi, and let L2(π) = {x ∈ R|S| : ⟨x,x⟩ < ∞}. Show that X is time-reversible if and only if ⟨x, Py⟩ = ⟨Px, y⟩ for all x, y ∈ L2(π).

Homework Equations

X is reversible if and only if

qij = pij
where qij is the transition probability from state i to state j in the reverse chain.
pij = pjiπj / πi
πipij = πjpji.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried equating ⟨x, Py⟩ = ⟨Px, y⟩ and subbing in the definition of the inner product as defined in the question. However, that doesn't seem to lead to anywhere.
Thank you for all those who can help.

You cannot receive help until you show your work on the problem. What have you actually done? Don't just describe it in words; write down formulas, equations, etc. Perhaps you wrote incorrect formulas; we cannot know if you don't show us.

The attempt at solution:

x, Py⟩ = ⟨Px, y
ixi(Pyi = ∑i(Px)iyiπi
i xi [Py]i πi = ∑i [Px]i yi πi

However I don't know what is the form of the P matrix and thus the form of the matrix product Px and Py.

Jimmy Zhan said:
The attempt at solution:

x, Py⟩ = ⟨Px, y
ixi(Pyi = ∑i(Px)iyiπi
i xi [Py]i πi = ∑i [Px]i yi πi

However I don't know what is the form of the P matrix and thus the form of the matrix product Px and Py.

You don't know the formula for the components of ##\mathbf{Px}##? Then how can you have studied anything about Markov chains, where those formulas are used extensively?

Related to Markov Chain - Time Reversibility proof

1. What is a Markov chain?

A Markov chain is a mathematical model used to describe a system that evolves over time in a probabilistic manner. It consists of a set of states and a set of transition probabilities between those states.

2. What is time reversibility in the context of Markov chains?

Time reversibility refers to the property of a Markov chain where the reverse sequence of states has the same probability as the original sequence. In other words, the chain can be run backwards in time and still follow the same pattern of transitions.

3. Why is proving time reversibility important for Markov chains?

Proving time reversibility is important because it allows for the use of certain mathematical tools and techniques, such as detailed balance equations and stationary distributions, to analyze and understand the behavior of Markov chains. It also helps in determining whether a Markov chain is at equilibrium or if it is still evolving towards a steady state.

4. How is time reversibility proved in Markov chains?

There are several approaches to proving time reversibility in Markov chains, including using symmetry arguments, constructing a time-reversed chain, or using the detailed balance equations. These methods involve manipulating the transition probabilities and showing that they are equal for both the original and reversed chain.

5. What are some real-world applications of Markov chains with time reversibility?

Markov chains with time reversibility have a variety of applications in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and computer science. Some examples include modeling the behavior of particles in a gas, predicting the spread of diseases in a population, analyzing stock market trends, and generating random text in natural language processing tasks.