Marginal PDF Problem: Accidental Edit Fixed

In summary, the conversation discusses the joint probability density function of X and Y and how to calculate various probabilities using this function. The conversation also addresses the concept of independence between X and Y and how to determine it. Finally, the conversation clarifies the difference between solving for (c) and (d) and how they are essentially asking the same question.
Ninty64
Oops, I accidentally edited over this post =(
Thankfully it's quoted in the next one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ninty64 said:
This is my first post, please excuse my inability to make my posts look nice.

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y) = 3/2, x2[tex]\leq[/tex]y[tex]\leq[/tex]1, 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1, be the joint pdf of X and Y.
(a) Find P(0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1/2)
(b) Find P(1/2 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1)
(c) Find P(1/2 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq1[/tex] 1, 1/2 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1)
(d) Find P(X [tex]\geq[/tex] 1/2, Y [tex]\geq[/tex] 1/2)
(e) Are X and Y independent? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

f1(x) = integral(f(x,y)dy)
f2(y) = integral(f(x,y)dx)

They are independent iff f(x,y) = f1(x) * f2(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I did integral(3/2dy) from y = x2 to y = 1, which gave me a marginal pdf of x to be:
f1(x) = (3/2) - (3/2)x2
Then I integrated from 0 to 1/2 to get the answer 11/16.

Good so far.

(b) I have a problem with this question. I tried to get the marginal pdf of y:
f2(y) = integral(3/2dx) from 0 to 1
which gives me:
f2(y) = 3/2

If you draw a picture of your region you will see that the limits on x depend on y. x only goes from 0 to 1 if y = 1. Otherwise the upper limit depends on y. You need to redo f2.

LCKurtz said:
If you draw a picture of your region you will see that the limits on x depend on y. x only goes from 0 to 1 if y = 1. Otherwise the upper limit depends on y. You need to redo f2.

Oh! I get it! x goes from 0 to sqrt(y)
So...
f2(y) = integral(3/2dx) from 0 to sqrt(y)
which becomes:
f2(y) = (3/2)sqrt(y)
Then when I integrate from 1/2 to 1, I get that the probability is 1 - sqrt(2)/4

Well that also answers (e). They are definitely dependent since
(3/2)sqrt(y) * (3/2 - (3/2)x^) =/= 3/2

Thank you! =)

That leaves me with one last question. (Assuming that my other work was right at least). Does this mean that (c) is asking me for the double integral of x(1/2 to 1) and y(1/2 to 1) while (d) is asking me for the double integral of x(1/2 to sqrt(y)) and y(1/2 to 1)?

Ninty64 said:
Oh! I get it! x goes from 0 to sqrt(y)
So...
f2(y) = integral(3/2dx) from 0 to sqrt(y)
which becomes:
f2(y) = (3/2)sqrt(y)
Then when I integrate from 1/2 to 1, I get that the probability is 1 - sqrt(2)/4

Well that also answers (e). They are definitely dependent since
(3/2)sqrt(y) * (3/2 - (3/2)x^) =/= 3/2

Thank you! =)

That leaves me with one last question. (Assuming that my other work was right at least). Does this mean that (c) is asking me for the double integral of x(1/2 to 1) and y(1/2 to 1) while (d) is asking me for the double integral of x(1/2 to sqrt(y)) and y(1/2 to 1)?

You could have seen intuitively that X and Y were not independent because, for example, if you know Y < 1 you would know X couldn't be 1.

As to (c) and (d) it looks to me as if they are asking the same question. And integrating f(x,y) with x from 1/2 to 1 and y from 1/2 to 1 is the same thing as integrating f(x,y) with x from 1/2 to sqrt(y) and y from 1/2 to 1. Remember f(x,y) is zero everywhere except where it is given to be 3/2.

LCKurtz said:
You could have seen intuitively that X and Y were not independent because, for example, if you know Y < 1 you would know X couldn't be 1.

As to (c) and (d) it looks to me as if they are asking the same question. And integrating f(x,y) with x from 1/2 to 1 and y from 1/2 to 1 is the same thing as integrating f(x,y) with x from 1/2 to sqrt(y) and y from 1/2 to 1. Remember f(x,y) is zero everywhere except where it is given to be 3/2.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. =)

Related to Marginal PDF Problem: Accidental Edit Fixed

What is the Marginal PDF Problem?

The Marginal PDF Problem refers to a scenario in which an accidental edit is made to a document or file, and the original version cannot be restored. This can result in important information being lost or changed, causing potential issues or errors.

What causes the Marginal PDF Problem?

The Marginal PDF Problem is typically caused by human error, such as accidentally deleting or modifying a document or file. It can also be caused by technical issues, such as a computer crash or software malfunction.

How can the Marginal PDF Problem be fixed?

The Marginal PDF Problem can be fixed by restoring the document or file from a backup or previous version. It is important to regularly save and backup important documents to prevent the loss of information in case of accidental edits.

Can the Marginal PDF Problem be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent accidental edits, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the risk of the Marginal PDF Problem occurring. This includes regularly saving and backing up documents, and implementing version control systems.

What are the consequences of the Marginal PDF Problem?

The consequences of the Marginal PDF Problem can vary depending on the significance of the document or file that was edited. In some cases, it may result in minor inconveniences, while in others it can lead to major errors or losses of important information.