Mapping plane/set into/onto itself (What exactly does this mean?)

In summary, mapping a set into or onto itself means that the function maps each element of the set to another element within the same set. This can be done in two ways - mapping each element to itself, or mapping each element to a different element within the set. Maps onto itself are also known as permutations.
vantroff
I've seen in books things like "G is mapping of plane into itself", "map of a set into itself" or "map of set/plane onto itself".
What exactly to map into/onto itself means? Do this means that when G maps into itself we get G as a result or we can also associate points on G to other points as long as they are on G?
If we have set S={1,2,3} what will mean to map it into itself?
The flowing thing?
1->1 S→S
2->2 S2→S2
3->3 S3→S3

Will "f:S→S where the image is S itself (i.e f(S)=S)" will be the correct notation(is there difference between the two, if they are correct at all?)

Some simple examples will be helpful.

Most of things I wrote probably make no sense, but I'm totally confused and google don't want to assist when I search about "mapping" and "maps". Giving me the right thing to search for or where to read about these things will be highly appreciated.
I also suppose that onto and into have different meaning, but I don't know what.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reply!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a set S, and a function ('map') f whose domain is S, we say f 'maps S into itself' if f(x) is in S for every x in S.
We say f 'maps S onto itself' if the above applies and the additional condition applies that for every y in S there is some x in S such that y=f(x). This can also be written as f(S)=S.

There are maps from a set onto itself that do not map each element to itself. For instance, with your three-element set, the map f such that
##f(S_1)=S_2##
##f(S_2)=S_3##
##f(S_3)=S_1##
maps S onto itself.

Maps of a set onto itself are sometimes called 'permutations'.

Likes vantroff
Thank you for the answer! I think that I understand it now. IDK why in all the books where I checked it wasn't explained that simple (it wasnt explained at all)...

1. What is a mapping plane?

A mapping plane is essentially a two-dimensional representation of a mathematical space, used to visualize and analyze mathematical concepts.

2. What does it mean to map a set into itself?

Mapping a set into itself means to apply a transformation or function to every element in the set, resulting in a new set with the same elements but potentially in a different arrangement or order.

3. How is mapping a set onto itself different from mapping it into itself?

Mapping a set onto itself means to create a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the set and itself, while mapping a set into itself does not necessarily require a one-to-one correspondence.

4. What are some common examples of mapping a plane/set into/onto itself?

Some common examples include rotations, reflections, and translations in geometry, as well as functions such as squaring or taking the absolute value in algebra.

5. How is mapping a plane/set into/onto itself useful in real-world applications?

Mapping a plane/set into/onto itself is useful for understanding and analyzing patterns and relationships in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It can also be used to create models and simulations in engineering and other scientific fields.