Mapping of a Circle in the Complex Plane

In summary: Yep. I think you're getting the drift. :)For (c) we have $w=2e^{i\pi}z = -2z\ \Rightarrow\ z=-w/2$, giving us the set $\{w\in \mathbb C : |-w/2+4|=1\}$. So, similar to (b), we have a circle with centre (-4,0) and radius 1. However, we are scaling the circle by a factor of 2, which will make it twice as big.For (d), we have $w=z+2+2i$. This is a translation of the original circle by (2,2) units. So, the centre of the
amr21
I have a circle with centre (-4,0) and radius 1. I need to draw the image of this object under the following mappings:
a) w=e^(ipi)z
b) w = 2z
c) w = 2e^(ipi)z
d) w = z + 2 + 2i

I have managed to complete the question for a square and a rectangle as the points are easy to map as they are corners. What value for z do I use for the circle? I'm unsure how to begin.
\end{document}

Mathematics news on Phys.org
amr21 said:
I have a circle with centre (-4,0) and radius 1. I need to draw the image of this object under the following mappings:
a) w=e^(ipi)z
b) w = 2z
c) w = 2e^(ipi)z
d) w = z + 2 + 2i

I have managed to complete the question for a square and a rectangle as the points are easy to map as they are corners. What value for z do I use for the circle? I'm unsure how to begin.

Hi again amr21,

The set of points on the circle with centre (-4,0) and radius 1 is $\{z \in \mathbb C : |z+4|=1\}$.
For (a) we have $w=e^{i\pi}z = -z\ \Rightarrow\ z=-w$, giving us the set $\{w\in \mathbb C : |-w+4|=1\}$.
Which object would that be? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi again amr21,

The set of points on the circle with centre (-4,0) and radius 1 is $\{z \in \mathbb C : |z+4|=1\}$.
For (a) we have $w=e^{i\pi}z = -z\ \Rightarrow\ z=-w$, giving us the set $\{w\in \mathbb C : |-w+4|=1\}$.
Which object would that be? (Wondering)

Is it the same circle reflected over the y-axis, so the mid-point is (4,0)?

amr21 said:
Is it the same circle reflected over the y-axis, so the mid-point is (4,0)?

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Is the set of points for part (b) $\{w \in \mathbb C : |(w/2)+4|=1\}$ ? Could you explain how to plot the w/2 part?

part (c) I believe the set is $\{w \in \mathbb C : |(-w/2)+4|=1\}$. Once again could you explain the -w/2 part

part (d) do you flip the circle over the x-axis?

part (e) I'm unsure how to create a set of values from this mapping

amr21 said:
Is the set of points for part (b) $\{w \in \mathbb C : |(w/2)+4|=1\}$ ? Could you explain how to plot the w/2 part?

Starting with this one.
Let's multiply both sides of the equation by 2:
$$|(w/2)+4|=1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad 2|w/2+4|=2\quad\Rightarrow\quad |w+8|=2$$
So we get:
$$\{w \in \mathbb C : |w+8|=2\}$$
Can we tell which object this is?

amr21 said:
part (c) I believe the set is $\{w \in \mathbb C : |(-w/2)+4|=1\}$. Once again could you explain the -w/2 part

part (d) do you flip the circle over the x-axis?

part (e) I'm unsure how to create a set of values from this mapping

I like Serena said:
Starting with this one.
Let's multiply both sides of the equation by 2:
$$|(w/2)+4|=1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad 2|w/2+4|=2\quad\Rightarrow\quad |w+8|=2$$
So we get:
$$\{w \in \mathbb C : |w+8|=2\}$$
Can we tell which object this is?

Is it a circle with centre (-8,0) and a radius of 2?

amr21 said:
Is it a circle with centre (-8,0) and a radius of 2?

Yep. I think you're getting the drift. :)

Related to Mapping of a Circle in the Complex Plane

What is the "Mapping of a Circle in the Complex Plane"?

The mapping of a circle in the complex plane is a mathematical concept that involves representing points on a circle using complex numbers.

Why is the mapping of a circle in the complex plane useful?

This mapping is useful for understanding and visualizing complex numbers and their relationship to geometric shapes, such as circles.

How is the mapping of a circle in the complex plane done?

The mapping is done by assigning a complex number to each point on the circle, with the center of the circle corresponding to the origin (0,0) in the complex plane.

What is the equation for mapping a circle in the complex plane?

The equation is z = re^(iθ), where z is the complex number, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the angle from the positive real axis to the point on the circle.

What can the mapping of a circle in the complex plane tell us about complex numbers?

The mapping can show the relationship between the magnitude and angle of a complex number, and how they correspond to points on the circle in the complex plane.