Mapping Circles in the Complex Plane: A Conformal Approach

In summary, the radius of circle ##C_i## under the transformation is the same for all ##i##, namely ##1/4s##.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider two unshaded circles ##C_r## and ##C_s## with radii ##r>s## that touch at the origin of the complex plane. The shaded circles ##C_1,C_2...C_7## (labeled in counterclockwise direction sequentially) all touch ##C_r## internally and ##C_s## externally. ##C_1## also touches the real axis and ##C_i## and ##C_{ i+1}## touch for ##i=1...6##.

Let ##r_i## denote the radius of ##C_i##. Then show that for ##i=1,2..., ## $$r_i^{-1} + 3r_{i+2}^{-1} = 3r_{i+1}^{-1} + r_{i+3}^{-1}.$$
See picture attached.

Homework Equations

Inversions in the Complex plane

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not really see how to begin this problem and how it may be solved via methods from a Complex Analysis course. I was thinking initially to express the radii in the plane, but then this does not seem to help because it looks difficult to obtain an expression for the circles ##C_4..C_7## given the diagram. We are studying inversion in the complex plane, so that is why I put it in the relevant equations subsection, but I do not see why/if this helps. I then thought about induction since ##i## is an integer, but then to prove the base case would require knowledge of the radii of the circles.
Thanks for any hints.

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't tried to work through the problem, but I think this should help:

Consider the map [tex] f(z) = \frac{1}{z} [/tex] which is conformal. Thus it maps circles in the plane to circles or lines in the plane. Try finding the images of those circles under f. Working with the resulting lines should be much easier.

Hi kduna,
It is clear that circles ##C_r## and ##C_s## are mapped to lines under the transformation and that ##C_i## for ##i \in \left\{1,...,6\right\}## are mapped to circles. Since the map is conformal, the angles in the plane are preserved where ##f'(z)## is defined. Each circle has 4 tangent points and thus there are 4 ##\pi/2## angles preserved.

Taking this into account, the radius I got for circle ##C_i##under the transformation is the same for all ##i##, namely ##1/4s##, where ##s## is the radius of ##C_s##. I am not really sure if this makes sense, but at the same time, I do not see how else the circles would get mapped in order to preserve all four angles.

Thanks.

Edit: defined notation more.

Last edited:

Related to Mapping Circles in the Complex Plane: A Conformal Approach

What is the relationship between two circles?

The relationship between two circles can vary depending on their size and position. Generally, two circles can be tangent, meaning they touch at exactly one point, or they can intersect, meaning they share one or more points. They can also be concentric, with one circle completely inside the other.

How do you find the intersection points of two circles?

The intersection points of two circles can be found by solving the equations of the circles simultaneously. This can be done using algebraic methods or by using the distance formula to create a system of equations. The number of intersection points will depend on the position and size of the circles.

Can two circles have the same center but different radii?

Yes, two circles can have the same center but different radii. These circles are known as concentric circles. They share the same center point but have different radii, meaning the distance from the center to the edge of the circle is not the same.

What is the equation for a circle?

The equation for a circle in standard form is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. This equation represents all points on the circle, with the center (h,k) and the radius r determining the size and position of the circle.

What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it related to circles?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is related to circles because it can be used to calculate the distance between two points on a circle, also known as the diameter. The diameter of a circle is twice the length of the radius, and the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to find this length.