Mapping 4D torus onto 4-sphere non-trivially

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing an explicit map from the 4D torus to the 4-sphere that has a non-trivial wrapping. The idea is to embed the torus in 5D and then divide each vector by its norm. The conversation also mentions using the degree of a map to determine if the image is nullhomotopic.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I'm trying to construct an explicit map that takes the 4D torus to the 4-sphere such that the wrapping is non-trivial (i.e. homotopically, i.e. you can't shrink it continuously to zero). More concretely, I'm looking for
[itex]\phi: T^4 \to S^4: (\alpha,\beta,\gamma,\delta) \mapsto ( x(\alpha,\beta,\cdots),y(\cdots),z(\cdots),t(\cdots),w(\cdots) )[/itex]
where [itex]\alpha^2 + \beta^2 + \cdots + w^2 = 1[/itex].

I was thinking of embedding the 4D torus in 5D (i.e. it's natural representation) and then dividing each vector out by its norm, but I'm not sure how to ensure that it wraps around the sphere non-trivially.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of this, but I think if the induced map on homology is non-trivial, so is the map.

Sadly I know nearly nothing of homology theory. Could you give a suggestion on how to make a concrete mapping?

I was thinking of first embedding the torus in 5D positioned such that it goes "around" the origin, and then dividing each vector out by its norm, as to get a 4D sphere embedded in 5D. Not sure how to verify the torus goes around the origin though.

Never mind, I succeeded :) Thanks for the help though.

nonequilibrium said:
Never mind, I succeeded :) Thanks for the help though.

I'm curious; could you give me an outline of what you did?

Sure,

So I embedded the 4-torus into 5D, basically the generalization of
[itex]x = (r_1 + r_2 \cos \beta) \cos \alpha \qquad y = (r_1 + r_2 \cos \beta) \sin \alpha \qquad z = r_2 \sin \beta[/itex]
which is the case of embedding the 2-torus into 3D.

Then I add a constant to x such that the torus encloses the origin. More concretely, the torus will be such that you won't be able to shrink it to zero if you are not allowed to pass through the origin. In the case above you add [itex]r_1[/itex] to x. What took me a while to figure out was that for the 4D-torus what I had to add to x was not [itex]r_1[/itex] but [itex]r_1+r_2+r_3[/itex].

Then I divide out by the norm, i.e. [itex]x = \frac{\textrm{as above}}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + \cdots}}[/itex] (note that you can check the norm of my mapping is never zero so all is well-defined).

This determines a map of the 5D embedding of a 4-torus to something which lies on the 5D embedding of a 4-sphere. The wrapping around the origin gives the intuition that this should have non-zero homology. This claim I then checked by numerically calculating the 2nd Chern number, which gave 1 :)

Thanks; nice job.

Thanks! It's a bit of a low-brow way of doing it, but I'm a physicist after all :P

Just another idea, just for the fun of it: maybe you can use the degree of a map to determine if the
image is nullhomotopic; the degree of a map is a homotopy invariant; the degree of a constant map
(i.e., contractible image) is zero. So if your map has degree non-zero, it should be non-trivial.

Related to Mapping 4D torus onto 4-sphere non-trivially

1. How is a 4D torus mapped onto a 4-sphere non-trivially?

The process of mapping a 4D torus onto a 4-sphere non-trivially involves using mathematical equations to transform the coordinates of points on the torus into points on the sphere. This results in a non-trivial mapping, meaning that the torus is not simply wrapped around the sphere, but rather the points are shifted and distorted in a complex manner.

2. What is the significance of mapping a 4D torus onto a 4-sphere?

The 4D torus and 4-sphere are both important mathematical objects that have been studied extensively in fields such as topology and differential geometry. Mapping one onto the other allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between these two objects and can also be used to solve certain mathematical problems.

3. What applications does this mapping have in practical science or technology?

This mapping has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and cosmology. In computer graphics, it can be used to create complex 3D shapes and textures. In physics, it can be used to describe higher-dimensional spacetimes, and in cosmology, it can be used to study the topology of the universe.

4. Is this mapping reversible?

Yes, this mapping is reversible, meaning that it is possible to transform points on the 4-sphere back into points on the 4D torus. However, this process may not be straightforward and may require complex mathematical equations.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a 4D torus being mapped onto a 4-sphere non-trivially?

Although this mapping is primarily used in theoretical mathematics and computer simulations, there are some real-world examples where it can be applied. For instance, in string theory, it is used to describe the behavior of strings in higher-dimensional spacetimes. Additionally, it has also been used to model the topology of the brain and study its complex network of connections.