Maple calculates the wrong answer?

• Maple
  • Thread starter dscot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the calculation of a1 using Maple and by hand. It is discovered that the difference is due to the use of different units for theta (degrees vs radians). The issue is resolved and the participants express gratitude for the help.
dscot
Hi all!

I have tried to calculate a1 using Maple as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/iV1XwJ1CXiqU

The problem is when I do this exact same calculation by hand with the exact same values I always end up with 59.99 but Maple gets 65.03?

How can there be such a big difference?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of theta, degrees or radians?

The following Mathcad 15 implementation makes it look like Maple's 'correct' answer uses radian measure for θdw and you've used degree measure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55341&stc=1&d=1359924526.jpg
http://screencast.com/t/iV1XwJ1CXiqU

Attachments

• phys - 13 02 03 maple program units 01.jpg
    phys - 13 02 03 maple program units 01.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 722
Wow thanks so much guys that's been driving me crazy! I can't believe I never figured that out! You guys are lifesavers :)

Last edited:
dscot said:
Wow thanks so much guys that's been driving me crazy! I can't believe I never figured that out! You guys are lifesavers :)
No worries. Been there, done that and worn the T-shirt to shreds.

Related to Maple calculates the wrong answer?

1. Why is Maple giving me a different answer than I expected?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that you have made a mistake in your input, such as using the wrong syntax or entering incorrect values. Another possibility is that there is a bug in the Maple software. It is also possible that the calculation is too complex for Maple to handle accurately.

2. How can I check if my input is correct?

You can use the "Check" command in Maple to verify your input and make sure it is correct. This will highlight any syntax errors or incorrect values. You can also try manually calculating the answer to see if it matches the one provided by Maple.

3. Why is Maple giving me an error message?

If you are receiving an error message, it could mean that your input is incorrect or that there is an issue with the Maple software. It could also mean that the calculation is too complex for Maple to handle. Try checking your input and simplifying the calculation if possible.

4. Can I change the settings to improve the accuracy of Maple's calculations?

Yes, you can change the settings in Maple to improve the accuracy of its calculations. You can adjust the precision, use different algorithms, or change the number of significant digits. However, keep in mind that this may also affect the speed of the calculation.

5. How can I report a bug in Maple's calculations?

If you suspect that there is a bug in Maple's calculations, you can report it to the Maple support team. They will investigate the issue and provide a solution or fix in a future update. You can also check the Maple website for any known issues or updates related to your problem.