Manipulation of Arbitrary Constants in Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a variable separable equation. The result is given as -ln|v| = ln|y| + C1, and after taking the exponential of both sides, the constant C1 is replaced with a new constant C2. It is noted that some texts do not distinguish between the different constants, likely to avoid confusion and messiness in the solution.
Bill Nye Tho

Homework Statement

yy''+(y')2 = 0

Homework Equations

yv(dv/dy)+v2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Variable separable when solving for the first step the result is:

- ln |v| = ln |y| + C1

Now, I've looked at the remainder of the solution with a few other sources and the cause of my mistake results in the constant.

After turning the equation into: ln |vy| + C1 = 0;

I raise everything to the e so that I can solve for v.

It seems all the solutions do that as well but yet they don't raise the constant to the e.

Is it because eC1 will still be a constant and therefore completely arbitrary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bill Nye Tho said:

Homework Statement

yy''+(y')2 = 0

Homework Equations

yv(dv/dy)+v2=0

- ln |v| = ln |y| + C1

Now, I've looked at the remainder of the solution with a few other sources and the cause of my mistake results in the constant.

It seems all the solutions do that as well but yet they don't raise the constant to the e.

[itex]\displaystyle e^{C_{\,1}}\ [/itex] is positive, otherwise it's as arbitrary as using a redefined C1 .

Bill Nye Tho said:

Homework Statement

yy''+(y')2 = 0

Homework Equations

yv(dv/dy)+v2=0

-ln|v|= ln|y|+ C1
You could, at this point, take the exponential of both sides:
[itex]e^{-ln|v|}= e^{ln|y|+ C_1}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{|v|}= e^{C_1}|y|[/itex]
Now, as you say, since C1 is an arbitrary constant, so is [itex]e^{C_1}[/itex] so let's just call it "C2". And if allow C2 to be either positive or negative, it we can drop the absolute values: [itex]\frac{1}{v}= C_2y[/itex] which is, of course, the same as [itex]yv= \frac{1}{C_2}[/itex] or [itex]yv= C_3[/itex] where [itex]C_3= 1/C_2[/itex].
Some texts just don't bother to label the different constants differently.

HallsofIvy said:
You could, at this point, take the exponential of both sides:
[itex]e^{-ln|v|}= e^{ln|y|+ C_1}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{|v|}= e^{C_1}|y|[/itex]
Now, as you say, since C1 is an arbitrary constant, so is [itex]e^{C_1}[/itex] so let's just call it "C2". And if allow C2 to be either positive or negative, it we can drop the absolute values: [itex]\frac{1}{v}= C_2y[/itex] which is, of course, the same as [itex]yv= \frac{1}{C_2}[/itex] or [itex]yv= C_3[/itex] where [itex]C_3= 1/C_2[/itex].
Some texts just don't bother to label the different constants differently.

That makes sense, thank you.

Seems like they just don't want things to get messy so they reuse the same constants.

A "conservation of constants" law!

Related to Manipulation of Arbitrary Constants in Differential Equations

1. What are arbitrary constants in differential equations?

Arbitrary constants are constants that appear in the general solution of a differential equation. They are used to account for the infinite number of possible solutions to a given differential equation.

2. How do you manipulate arbitrary constants in differential equations?

Arbitrary constants can be manipulated by using initial conditions or boundary conditions to solve for their specific values. They can also be rearranged or combined with other terms in the equation to simplify the solution.

3. Why are arbitrary constants important in differential equations?

Arbitrary constants are important because they allow for a general solution to a differential equation, which can then be tailored to fit specific scenarios by manipulating the constants. They also help to account for the different forms a solution can take.

4. Can arbitrary constants be eliminated from a differential equation?

Yes, it is possible to eliminate arbitrary constants from a differential equation by using initial or boundary conditions to solve for their specific values. This will result in a unique solution to the equation.

5. In what situations would you need to manipulate arbitrary constants in differential equations?

Arbitrary constants are often manipulated when solving real-world problems that involve differential equations. These can include physical and biological systems, as well as various engineering applications.