Manipulating the Maclaurin Series for e^(-4x^4) to Solve an Integral

In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. In summary, the homework equation is e^(-4*x^4) and using the Maclaurin series, you can estimate the integral to be 4*x^(-4)^n.
HolyDesperado

Homework Statement

Assume that e^x equals its Maclaurin series for all x.
Use the Maclaurin series for e^(-4 x^4) to evaluate the integralYour answer will be an infinite series. Use the first two terms to estimate its value.

Homework Equations

Inline37.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the e^x series above to solve the given series. From what I understand, I am suppose to manipulate the e^x series so that it becomes e^(-4x^4). I am new to these forums, and I don't know another way to show what I'm doing, so I'll post an image of what I have so far (which is incorrect):Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what my mistakes are?
Thanks a lot and sorry if I broke any forum etiquette rules here! It's my first time here. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No rules broken. Welcome to the forums! You want (-4*x^4)^n. Not -4*(x^4)^n. You get powers of the -4 as well.

Hey Dick sorry for the late reply, I had to run out real quick, but I tried your suggestion of (-4x^4)^n. However, I am still getting an incorrect answer. I brought out -1/n! and then integrated (4x^4)^n. Which should give me 4^nx(x^4)^n/4n+1?

Then you get powers of the -1 as well. (-1)^n. Your power on the x isn't right either in the integral. You had it right before.

Dick said:
Then you get powers of the -1 as well. (-1)^n. Your power on the x isn't right either in the integral. You had it right before.

I'm afraid I don't understand. Can you elaborate on this please?

(-4)^1=-4. (-4)^2=16. (-4)^3=-64. (-4)^4=256. They aren't all the same sign. You can't factor the (-1) out.

so you're saying I should get (-4x)^(4n+1)/(4n+1)n! ... ?

No. (-4x^4)^n=(-4)^n*(x^4)^n=(-4)^n*x^(4n). Now integrate the power.

Dick said:
No. (-4x^4)^n=(-4)^n*(x^4)^n=(-4)^n*x^(4n). Now integrate the power.
By integrate the powers you mean -4^n*x^(4n) = -4^(n+1)*x^(4n+1)/(4n+1)n! ...??

Sorry, English is not my native tongue.

By 'power' I meant the x^(4n). Sorry. (-4)^n is a constant in each term. It doesn't depend on x. You only apply the power law to x^(4n).

Dick said:
By 'power' I meant the x^(4n). Sorry. (-4)^n is a constant in each term. It doesn't depend on x. You only apply the power law to x^(4n).

Ah, I see it more clearly now, but once I plug in x, which is .1, I should get (-4)^n*(0.1)^(4n+1)/(4n+1)n! I then plugged in 0 and 1 for n to test the first two terms of the series, but my answer came out wrong again. =( Please help.

Can you show us the first two terms of the series you used and the numbers you got? Remember the first term is n=0. That term is pretty simple.

Sure, here is what I've done below:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9651/mathhelp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 0.099992. I didn't round off. Could that be the problem? Otherwise, it looks fine.

Dick said:
I get 0.099992. I didn't round off. Could that be the problem? Otherwise, it looks fine.

I left off the two at the end when I entered my solution, and webwork counted that as incorrect. I just tried your solution with the extra 2 and now it is correct. Silly webwork. =) Thanks for you patience throughout helping me find this solution. Hopefully we can do business again in the future!

You're welcome. You know where to find me. BTW your English is excellent. You even spell words correctly. Native speakers don't do that any more.

Related to Manipulating the Maclaurin Series for e^(-4x^4) to Solve an Integral

1. What is a MacLaurin integral?

A MacLaurin integral is a type of definite integral that is used to calculate the area under a curve. It is named after the mathematician Colin MacLaurin and is a special case of the more general Taylor series.

2. How do you solve a MacLaurin integral?

To solve a MacLaurin integral, you first need to identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integral. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using basic calculus rules.

3. What are the benefits of using MacLaurin integrals?

MacLaurin integrals are useful because they allow us to find the area under a curve without having to know the exact equation of the curve. This makes them particularly helpful in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields where we often encounter unknown functions.

4. Can MacLaurin integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, MacLaurin integrals can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems involving finding areas, volumes, and other quantities. They are also used in many mathematical models to describe natural phenomena and make predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to using MacLaurin integrals?

While MacLaurin integrals are a powerful tool for solving many mathematical problems, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only be used to find the area under a curve if the curve is continuous and differentiable. Additionally, some integrals may be too complex to solve using traditional methods and may require numerical techniques instead.