Mandatory (online) courses for theoretical physics

In summary, it would seem that for someone who wants to learn theoretical physics extensively, the courses recommended would include Special relativity, Field theory, Statistical mechanics, Classical mechanics, and Quantum field theory.
Mishra
Hello,

I am a master student in physics. I have come to realize that I will probably not work in a highly theoretical field in the future as I do not believe I stand a real chance in this world. However I want to learn as much as I can "on the side".

Which set of courses would you recommend to get as far as possible in theoretical physics (QFT, QED, strings and their link to particle physics etc.) ? Including maths courses.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Mishra,

There's a whole load of excellent lectures by Leonard Susskind at Stanford.
I recommend Special relativity which isn't really what it says: after a few lectures he introduces field theory and that's what it's about.

Hello BvU,

Thanks for you answer.
I've followed a few lectures from Susskind (GR, QM, Statistical mechanics, Classical mechanics). He is great . But I am looking for something more technical (or formal). His lectures are somewhat missing some maths. Strangely I feel like they are great for someone who already knows the subjects and would be looking for Susskind's unique point of view and ways of doing physics.

I've followed David Tong's QFT lectures (www youtube.com/watch?v=8yplCob7_Ck.) That was more like what I'm looking for: "formal" physics.

Hello Mishra,

I see. From what I've seen from theoreticians (not all that much) is that the technical formalities come second to points of view, ideas and insights. I also think that by the time you're at this level of abstraction, you are well aware of what suits you best (your reply more or less testifies to that) and you should indeed follow you personal preferences. And -- without meaning to be crude -- you should be mastering the math already, at least enough to not worry about Leonard missing some.

A totally different idea: the CERN summer schools of physics, perhaps ? There's lots of material in the CERN library. Used to be free and on paper in yellow reports; perhaps it's on line nowadays.

Yet another: here Gerard 't Hooft has a huge sequence of pages on what you need. Pretty disheartening if you ask me o0) . But he also lists good links to authoritative material.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean by that, and I also agree. Susskind's lecture devolps instinct and abstraction without computing every single integral. This is great when you have already done the maths a little and know where you are going. Before watching his lectures on GR, I was basically computing tensors like a zombie. Now I don't even have to (I'm only speaking about stuff I have been confronted with during exercices of course!).

But when it comes to quantum field theories, I am not at that level of abstraction yet. I still have trouble with the Lie algebras, field quantization etc. Not that the computations are hard, I just don't master/understand the tools yet. I find it comforting to do the important proofs before jungling with the theorems.

This website is the kind of stuff I was looking for. During my bachelor, every course was mandatory and I did'nt had to think about which courses to take Now I know where I am going!

Thanks a lot

Related to Mandatory (online) courses for theoretical physics

What is the purpose of mandatory online courses for theoretical physics?

The purpose of mandatory online courses for theoretical physics is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental theories and principles of physics. These courses aim to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to solve complex theoretical problems and conduct research in various fields of physics.

What are the benefits of taking mandatory online courses for theoretical physics?

There are several benefits to taking mandatory online courses for theoretical physics. These include the flexibility to study at your own pace, the ability to access resources and lectures from anywhere, and the opportunity to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, online courses often offer interactive simulations and virtual experiments, providing a more engaging and hands-on learning experience.

Are online courses for theoretical physics as rigorous as traditional in-person courses?

Yes, online courses for theoretical physics are just as rigorous as traditional in-person courses. The curriculum and learning outcomes are often the same, and online courses may even require more self-discipline and motivation. However, online courses offer the advantage of being able to review lectures and materials at any time, which can be beneficial for understanding complex theoretical concepts.

What is the format of mandatory online courses for theoretical physics?

The format of mandatory online courses for theoretical physics may vary depending on the institution or program. However, most courses will include lectures, assignments, quizzes, and exams. Some courses may also include virtual labs, discussions, and group projects. The format of the course will be outlined in the syllabus and may differ from course to course.

What are the prerequisites for taking mandatory online courses for theoretical physics?

The prerequisites for taking mandatory online courses for theoretical physics may vary depending on the institution or program. However, most courses will require a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and algebra. Some courses may also have specific prerequisites in physics or other related subjects. It is essential to check the course requirements before enrolling to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge.