Making of a Musical Instrument

• Thread starter knowmad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
Juan_Fella is looking for help making a musical instrument that incorporates physics knowledge. Suggestions include using vibrating strings and understanding standing waves, frequency, and resonance. A book recommendation is given for further research. It is also suggested to consider woodwind instruments like recorders or flutes, which require good pitch perception. Another option is to build a voltage controlled oscillator for electronic tones. Percussion instruments and wind instruments are also mentioned as possibilities.
knowmad
Hey everyone, i have to apply physics knpowledge to make a musical instrument, and if anyone has ever done this before i need major help with this assignment and i need to do good on it so please post your email reply to this thread or add me on msn: donjuan_fella@hotmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume its wanting you to make something with vibrating strings. I would maybe read up about standing (also called stationary) waves, frequency and resonance etc. Also, it might be of use that the note A is 440Hz. Its not much, but hopefully it'll get you started :)

To get started, id recommend a book called "The Physics of Musical Instruments" by Fletcher and Neville. The easiest instruments would probably be stringed instruments, anything with an air column such as woodwind instruments (oboe, bassoon, clarinet, saxophone) tend to be complex because one has to take in account fluid dynamics etc.

It wouldn't be too difficult to create a recorder, primitive flute, or a primitive clarinet; you'd just have to find out where to carve the holes so that the instrument hits the correct pitches (which requires a good ear).

I don't have very much experience with stringed instruments, my expertise is limited to woodwinds.

knowmad said:
Hey everyone, i have to apply physics knpowledge to make a musical instrument, and if anyone has ever done this before i need major help with this assignment and i need to do good on it so please post your email reply to this thread or add me on msn: donjuan_fella@hotmail.com
If you're handy with electronics, you might be able to build a voltage controlled oscillator to generate tones. How about a wind instrument? Or percussion instruments? Think about the physics of these.

Regards

Don

Related to Making of a Musical Instrument

1. How is the sound of a musical instrument created?

The sound of a musical instrument is created through a combination of factors, including the material and shape of the instrument, the way it is played, and the vibrations that are produced when the instrument is played. For example, string instruments produce sound by the strings vibrating when they are plucked or bowed, while wind instruments produce sound through the vibration of air inside the instrument.

2. What are the main materials used to make musical instruments?

The materials used to make musical instruments vary depending on the type of instrument. Some common materials include wood, metal, plastic, and animal products such as hide or gut. The selection of materials is important as it can greatly impact the sound and durability of the instrument.

3. How are musical instruments designed and constructed?

The design and construction of musical instruments require a combination of traditional craftsmanship and modern technology. Typically, a design is first created on paper or using computer-aided design (CAD) software. Then, the materials are carefully selected and shaped using specialized tools and techniques. The construction process may also involve testing and adjusting the instrument to achieve the desired sound quality.

4. Can anyone learn to make a musical instrument?

While some basic woodworking or metalworking skills may be helpful, anyone with a passion for music and a willingness to learn can make a musical instrument. There are many resources available, including instructional books, online tutorials, and workshops, that can guide individuals through the process of making their own instrument.

5. How long does it take to make a musical instrument?

The time it takes to make a musical instrument can vary greatly depending on the type of instrument, the complexity of the design, and the skill level of the maker. Some simple instruments can be made in a matter of hours, while others may take weeks or even months to complete. The process requires patience, attention to detail, and a dedication to creating a high-quality instrument.