Making noise over the [Kokomo] hum

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary: I'm assuming they were trying to keep the raccoons out. In summary, residents of Kokomo, Indiana are complaining about a high-pitched drone that is making their lives difficult. The noise is reportedly being caused by a ballast, and the residents are requesting help from the state in order to address the issue.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
KOKOMO, Ind. -- Time has been kind to this storied city, where old neon signs hang above shop entrances and blocks of stately buildings form picturesque streetscapes.

Residents like to boast that Kokomo is the birthplace of the first American-built automobile, the pneumatic tire, stainless steel and the carburetor.

But in recent years, this city of about 46,000, an hour north of Indianapolis, has been known for something else.

The Kokomo hum.

A drone so incessant that some claim it is making their lives miserable and ruining their health.

While residents realize not everyone can hear their hum, they say it's time for the state to hear their pleas.

"We are appealing to the state, 'Will you help us?' " said Gael Deppert, an Indianapolis attorney who said she is volunteering her services to help residents. "We need to bring in scientists knowledgeable in various fields to try to grapple with this situation. We're asking the state to come in with an open mind."

On Friday, Jim Cowan, a Massachusetts researcher who has studied the hum, and Jeff Symmes, a Lafayette-area resident who says he became ill while working in Kokomo asked Gov. Joe Kernan's office for an in-depth study. [continued]

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/133270-5162-009.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That reminds me

When I was too young of a kid for my mother to leave me at home when she went shopping, I got dragged along, much to my discontent. The worst place was a big Sears store. I told ma that there was a high-pitched whine that I could hear as soon as we walked in the door, and it never let up until we left the store. She thought I was making it up so as to get her to hurry up with her shopping and leave. I wasn't making it up. I don't know what caused it, but I presume only young ears such as mine could detect it. I don't know how burglar alarms work, but surely the store couldn't leave an alarm on when the store is open for business, so I think that explanation is out.

I think that you were probably hearing the ballast's for the flourescent lights. Some of the high efficiency variety operate at 20 KHz - just at the upper end of the range of human hearing. I guess it could have also could have been something in the PA system.

Ballast Frequency 60 Hz or 20 to 33 kHz or > 40 kHz
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=fixtures.pr_crit_light_fixtures

Now that PWM circuits are into the >40 KHz range [really anything much >20KHz is all that we need] the noise should go away. Maybe your hearing is just as good as before; the lights have just grown quiet.

So the ballast might have something in it (transformer?) that responds to the 20 kHz current in the circuit in such a way that it mechanically vibrates at that frequency, and I was hearing sound waves coming off of that object?

Exactly!

I often work with variable frequency motor control equipment. If I set the carrier wave to 20 Khz it about drives me up the wall. In my case, the noise can be heard coming from both the drive and the motor.

Some in Kokomo report high-pitched (may be due to public PA system or city Fluorescent lights) but many report it as low-pitched. I would find out the radius of the low-pitched drone and try to find it's source. The low frequency is probably at the low end of the hearing spectrum.

janitor, I had the same thing happen to me when I was little. I have asked nearly everyone I have ever spoken with if it had happened to them and the answer was always NO. I thought I was crazy. Thank you.

Back then I was certain it was all of the metal coat hangers being moved by the shoppers on the metal pipes.

Now I'm thinking it was piped in 'white noise' to keep sound contained to each area of the stores.

Some older security systems used ultrasonic motion detectors to monitor spaces that should be off-limits to unauthorized people. Perhaps an alcove at the entrance of a bank vault or a storage room where valuable merchandise is kept. The bank in my old home town had evidently installed one in the early 1970's because when I went there to deposit pay from my summer jobs, the high-pitched whine drove me nuts. There was a convenience store in Gardiner that had one, too. They did a thriving business in cigarettes, and I assume the owner was restricting access to his stock-room. At my age (55) I can hear that nasty mosquito ring-tone some kids are using, and when we moved into this house, there was a persistent whine that was driving me nuts. The previous owner had plugged in ultrasonic pest repellent devices in the attached garage and the basement.

So, this thread doesn't become "ho-hum" there's also the Taos hum. And hums a lots of places.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

About 99% of people in Taos NM cannot hear anything. I know this first hand. I'm certain some people truly hear something. Then there are lots of kooks. I think they prevent any researcher from getting useful data about sources.

Janitor said:
When I was too young of a kid for my mother to leave me at home when she went shopping, I got dragged along, much to my discontent. The worst place was a big Sears store. I told ma that there was a high-pitched whine that I could hear as soon as we walked in the door, and it never let up until we left the store. She thought I was making it up so as to get her to hurry up with her shopping and leave. I wasn't making it up. I don't know what caused it, but I presume only young ears such as mine could detect it. I don't know how burglar alarms work, but surely the store couldn't leave an alarm on when the store is open for business, so I think that explanation is out.

I could hear ultrasonic motion detectors and dog whistles until I was about 45.
Worst incident for me was at one of my son's parent teacher nights. I walked in one door and when I left thru the othe door I screamed. The emitter was in the door alcove about a foot over my head.
I got a lot of weird looks out of that one.
No one else could hear it.

There were a number of stores I refused to go into.
I know one other person who could also hear this stuff.

Someone reported their hum lessened after limiting calcium by way of dairy products. The hypothesis they were considering concerned calcite crystals.

It seems possible (all things considered) that some dairy products might also contain higher than acceptable levels of various metals.

It might sound a little "out there", but does anyone have any thoughts about that possibility in relation to an enhanced or altered senses?

Far Star said:
Someone reported their hum lessened after limiting calcium by way of dairy products. The hypothesis they were considering concerned calcite crystals.

It seems possible (all things considered) that some dairy products might also contain higher than acceptable levels of various metals.

It might sound a little "out there", but does anyone have any thoughts about that possibility in relation to an enhanced or altered senses?

I have some circumstantial evidence that this might be the case. There is a genetic condition called William's Syndrome which, among many other things, includes:

Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels)
Some young children with Williams syndrome have elevations in their blood calcium level. The true frequency and cause of this problem is unknown. When hypercalcemia is present, it can cause extreme irritability or "colic-like" symptoms. Occasionally, dietary or medical treatment is needed. In most cases, the problem resolves on its own during childhood, but lifelong abnormality in calcium or Vitamin D metabolism may exist and should be monitored.

and:

Hyperacusis (sensitive hearing)
Children with Williams syndrome often have more sensitive hearing than other children; Certain frequencies or noise levels can be painful an/or startling to the individual. This condition often improves with age

http://www.williams-syndrome.org/forparents/whatiswilliams.html

I saw a special about William's Syndrome on television a few years back. The little girl who was primarily featured had downright superhuman hearing. She heard Dr. Sacks, the host, talking softly about her to the camera in a department store when he was standing in the next aisle over. Very soft sounds that most cannot hear can be clear as a bell to them.

I have no idea why elevated calcium levels might contribute to this, but they have that also, so there may well be a connection.

The possibility of William's Syndrome type chemistry seems even more reasonable if reports the 'hum' often has a seasonal component are valid. It would be interesting to know what common denominators hearers share in relation to diet and exposure to sunlight as well.

Far Star said:
The possibility of William's Syndrome type chemistry seems even more reasonable if reports the 'hum' often has a seasonal component are valid.
Why? I don't follow.
It would be interesting to know what common denominators hearers share in relation to diet and exposure to sunlight as well.
My guess is that there is some type of non-William's related high calcium syndrome ongoing in the general population everywhere and that there actually is some hum at these locations which people with this syndrome can hear but to which others are insensible.

Hey, whore you calling "insensible"?

Zoobyshoe- I meant unusual chemistry in a broader sense. Perhaps ionized calcium levels rather than circulating, or something along those lines. Many hearers have had fairly extensive physical exams. You'd think, given basic testing, someone would have caught a connection if blood calcium levels were higher or lower than normal. If I understand correctly blood calcium can register as normal, yet ionized can be sub-normal under certain conditions?

I'm not sure of the mechanism but I think vitamin D levels also affect how the body absorbs minerals. Hence the thought about seasonal variations in sunlight. With recent news about the skeleton being an active part of the endocrine system perhaps this is another area to research.

There also seems to be a predominance of people that start sensing the hum that are in their 40's. Perhaps this also points to some sort of age related metabolic change that isn't understood in the usual sense.

I also agree there may be a universal hum that some people can hear and others cannot.
It's difficult to understand how some hearers have heard it for the first time in the middle of nowhere away from any sort of mechanical sound or electrical source. The reports that the intensity often shifts around 3AM is another point to ponder.

Far Star said:
Zoobyshoe- I meant unusual chemistry in a broader sense. Perhaps ionized calcium levels rather than circulating, or something along those lines. Many hearers have had fairly extensive physical exams. You'd think, given basic testing, someone would have caught a connection if blood calcium levels were higher or lower than normal.
If, as you say, people have thought to limit intake of calcium, I would suspect high levels were found in physical exams.

I also agree there may be a universal hum that some people can hear and others cannot.
No, what I suggested was that people with these calcium problems may be evenly spread throughout the general population but that the hums are localized.

If we had a big budget we could round up a bunch of people with William's Syndrome and take them to Taos to see if they hear the hum.

From what I gather this is purely on their own after reading about calcite crystals. Note: lLmiting calcium intake should be discussed with a medical professional.

<<No, what I suggested was that people with these calcium problems may be evenly spread throughout the general population but that the hums are localized.>>

Or maybe the hum is evenly spread and calcium problems are localized.

<<If we had a big budget we could round up a bunch of people with William's Syndrome and take them to Taos to see if they hear the hum.>>

Recent research from NZ produced a recording that many hearers in other countries recognize as their hum, or very similar to it. The NZ researchers have yet to find the source.

He believes that there is a mechanism for the transduction of sound which might explain the hum. The key may be hidden in a technology invented by Dr. Patrick Flanagan. NeurophonicTM sound technologies were developed based on an understanding of sound transfer using different "hearing" pathways to the brain. Standard sound measuring and diagnostic equipment would be ineffective in locating the "sound" source.

Flanagan's NeurophoneTM research offers a possible explanation for the Taos hum. As Mullins has pointed out, we are surrounded by a large number of low frequency devices * devices all operating around 60Hz. Given Flanagan's NeurophoneTM concept, it is possible that this concentration of frequency may well be resonating with the skin causing a direct neural link between the skin and the brain. As with the NeurophoneTM, some individuals are more receptive than others. Consequently, some persons' skin could be more receptive to ambient electromagnetic frequencies than others.

Tanimoto has worked out exactly how energy from the atmosphere could be converted into the oscillations Suda and Nawa observed. His model predicts that the sounding of the global gong ought to vary over the course of a year, peaking in winter, when atmospheric pressure is highest and the airy mallets hit hardest. To test that prediction, Tanimoto analysed readings from 15 exceptionally quiet seismic stations scattered around the globe. By adding together spectral peaks from many years' worth of records, he amplified the vibrations until he could see subtle changes in their intensity. At each station Tanimoto checked, the Hum grew about 10 per cent louder between December and February and between June and August - winter in the northern and southern hemispheres respectively

http://www.crystalinks.com/taoshum.htmlFound this article on the Taos hum. Some interesting ideas.

Please use only reputable sources when quoting scientific theories or explanations. Crystalinks is not a reputable source.

If the quoted works are trustworthy then there should be a better source. If not found elsewhere then it can't be trusted anyway.

Last edited:
Far Star said:
From what I gather this is purely on their own after reading about calcite crystals. Note: lLmiting calcium intake should be discussed with a medical professional.
What did they read about calcite crystals?

Ivan Seeking said:
Please use only reputable sources when quoting scientific theories or explanations. Crystalinks is not a reputable source.

If the quoted works are trustworthy then there should be a better source. If not found elsewhere then it can't be trusted anyway.

Yes sir!:D I tried searching for more sources but couldn't locate any. Figured it may spark interest from someone else that has a little more information available. The atmospheric oscillations theory is mainly what caught my attention. Haven't found any other studies on the subject though.

A noise reported by the human brain must be a reproduce able effect, sound is a vibration
of some part of the human anatomy that can interpret that vibration, it may be via the ear or the skeleton, as i know of a noise that is not identifiable, i would be happy to know of any equipment that can pick up these vibrations.

B. Elliott said:
Yes sir!:D I tried searching for more sources but couldn't locate any. Figured it may spark interest from someone else that has a little more information available. The atmospheric oscillations theory is mainly what caught my attention. Haven't found any other studies on the subject though.
I've been interested in the Neurophone since I first heard about it. According to every anecdotal report I've read it does, indeed, produce the sensation of sound coming from within the head. If true, that's kind of remarkable. However, it requires that electrodes be directly applied to a person's skin, and so, whatever might be happening with this device, it isn't at all likely the same effect is responsible for these hums.

This article suggests that the Neurophone, having the acquired the reputation of being snake oil, is doomed to going without a proper evaluation:

Armed with a loaner neurophone for a week, I set about to evaluate the device myself. This proved more difficult than anticipated. The original plan to gather a team of experts to evaluate the device fell apart because few people in the world (let alone Anchorage) are expert in bioelectricity, electrical engineering, brain electrochemistry and all of the other disciplines that the neurophone crosses. Additionally, much of the research in this area has been ignored or criticized by mainstream scientists, and many people I contacted were instantly ready to dismiss the product.

Gordon, for example, refused to sit on the panel. "It sounds like bunk to me," he says, adding however that he isn't truly qualified to judge the device. "A panel of experts won't tell you anything anyway. A panel of experts convicted Galileo."

http://www.cridder.com/morgue/press/news/neurophone.html

I have found many non-expert claims that the device produces the sensation of sound in the head, and no expert or non-expert denials of this. It's never been completely acknowledged or debunked, as far as I can see. He was granted a patent for it, for whatever that's worth.

The inventor, G. Patrick Flanagan, has a plausible explanation for how it works:

In our initial testing, we found that the neurophone produced a minute mechanical vibration in the skin under the electrodes. When one person was listening to the device, other people standing near the electrodes could hear the sounds coming from the skin. If a stethoscope was placed in contact with the users skin, the vibration could be heard loudly, and clearly. Our initial effort was to determine if this vibration was producing bone conduction, or was the skin vibration merely an artifact?

http://www.rexresearch.com/flanagan/neuroph.htm

However, Flanagan presents as a complete crackpot in his willingness to fly off on flights of speculation, and for his interest in things like "Pyramid Power".

The Neurophone was first brought to the public's attention, though, in a Life Magazine feature article:

http://www.phisciences.com/lifemagazine.htm

which indicates that Flanagan had been able to successfully demonstrate his device to enough people that the claim of sound through the skin is probably true, despite the fact no one has incontrovertibly determined how it actually works.

The main problem might be that Flanagan wanted to make it into a device that would allow the deaf to hear. It was important to him to assert that it bypasses conventional hearing mechanisms and sent signals directly to the brain. I suspect, but I'm speculating here, that this is where it all went south; that it probably doesn't work on completely deaf people and he couldn't successfully prove it bypassed the mechanisms of the ear.

I think a way to test the basic claim of sound through the skin might be to gather a bunch of test subjects and tell them they want to test their galvanic skin responses to sound. The neurophone electrodes could then be attached to their skin and a pair of dummy headphones could be placed on their ears. They'd be instructed to signal whenever they heard a sound, but all sounds would be sent through the neurophone (in a non-periodic pattern) and none through the headphones. In this way the basic claim of sound through the skin could be established as true or debunked.

I believe the theory is that calcite crystals in the inner ear, or perhaps pineal gland, may exhibit piezoelectric qualities. Whether limiting calcium would affect this, or if there's valid research about the overall subject, I don't know.

Another aspect to consider is the sense of vibration many hearers report. The majority of those reporting this sensation feel it in their lower legs while sitting or reclining. Many also feel vibration through their feet while standing. The thyroid area, as well as the chest, is also common. I don't recall a lot of talk about a sense of vibration in the ears themselves, other than the sound that is perceived. This resonance seems to vary with physical location. These areas tend to accumulated fluid for one reason or another, no?

Far Star said:
I believe the theory is that calcite crystals in the inner ear, or perhaps pineal gland, may exhibit piezoelectric qualities. Whether limiting calcium would affect this, or if there's valid research about the overall subject, I don't know.

http://www.starweave.com/pinealsummary/

“The pineal gland … converts a neuronal signal into an endocrine output. … [It] is located close to the anatomical centre of the human brain.” “A total of 20 glands from [human] subjects ranging in age from 15 to 68 years were studied.” “Microcrystals were found in every gland in quantities ranging from 100 to 300 crystals per cubic millimetre of gland. No attempt was made to correlate the quantity of crystals with either the age of the subject or pathological details.” “Length dimensions of the crystals varied from 2-3 to about 20 micrometres.” “These results (referring to various forms of analysis described in detail) and the electron diffraction measurements definitely prove that the microcrystals are calcite.” “These calcite crystals bear a striking resemblance to the otoconia of the inner ear.” “The calcite in otoconia has been shown to exhibit piezoelectricity.” “If piezoelectricity were to exist [in the pineal calcite microcrystals], an electromechanical coupling mechanism to external electromagnetic fields may be possible.”

This author is concerned about the possible effects of cell phones. I suppose someone reading about this might think that elevated calcium levels could make the calcite crystals in the otoconia grow larger or be more numerous, and make someone's hearing more sensitive.

Abstract of the actual paper:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/tandf/gfer/2002/00000273/00000001/art00059

At any rate, to the extent elevated calcium levels and acute hearing are co-occurring in William's Syndrome, the former might somehow be causing the latter.

zoobyshoe I think a way to test the basic claim of sound through the skin might be to gather a bunch of test subjects and tell them they want to test their galvanic skin responses to sound. The neurophone electrodes could then be attached to their skin and a pair of dummy headphones could be placed on their ears. They'd be instructed to signal whenever they heard a sound said:
Good thought. I'm not the brightest bulb in the barn so forgive me, wouldn't a frequency that provokes a reaction have to be established first?

Edit:The frequency used for the neurophone experiment appears to have been established. Tattoo on forehead: Read before engaging keyboard.

Last edited:
Far Star said:
Good thought. I'm not the brightest bulb in the barn so forgive me, wouldn't a frequency that provokes a reaction have to be established first?

Edit:The frequency used for the neurophone experiment appears to have been established. Tattoo on forehead: Read before engaging keyboard.

In one of those papers at RexResearch I saw that the first embodiment was a modified radio: the signal was a common AM signal.

If any of you were given the time and money to research the hum/hearers, what would your starting point be? (aside from a month on the beach sipping margaritas- we could only wish)

Far Star said:
If any of you were given the time and money to research the hum/hearers, what would your starting point be? (aside from a month on the beach sipping margaritas- we could only wish)
I suppose I'd first collect reports from the hearers, study them, and then decide what questions I'd want to ask them to get a clear picture of what the hum is like.

I'd like to study the *lack*of interest in the phenomena. From the anecdotal reports provided by hearers it's as if they're living a science fiction novel.

Listen to the background noise at this site

http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/inspire.html

it is not a perfect match but is very close to a noise i and others can hear, i think if it was a little more rhymic and a little less sharp it would be perfect match.

Some times the noise from the near by motorway will drown out this sound, wet weather
is sure to, strange but the noise from the motorway seems to increase when it is raining,
the motorway is over a mile from us, i have not measured it.
I plan to take two people that can hear this noise on an around the local to find a truish
extent of the center, i have done it alone and could not find a place where it was louder
or quiter, i can hear it or not.
Things to think about.

There is no heavy industry within 10 miles AFAIK
there is a railway again not measured but at least 2 miles away
there are no high voltage power lines that are visible
the local farmers tell me that they do not run machinery at night
there is a sewerage plant nearby but as far as i can tell it makes no noise
there are hills close by but the noise has not increased with very wet weather we have just had
there are no radio masts nearby
the number of vehicles that pass through the village can be counted on one hand per hour
the noise is most notable when i want to relax, go to sleep, if i am busy i tend not notice it, i have asked several people to just sit listen and tell me if they can hear anything, 3 out of 5 can and describe the noise like the one i have posted.

Wolram- from what I've read your experience isn't unusual. Many hearers are aware of their particular hum and variations even in remote areas away from railroads and motor traffic.

Back