Making a Mount for LCD Monitor - Up, Down, Left, Right, Far & Close

In summary, a person wants to make a mount for their LCD monitor that will go up and down, left and right, far and close. They also want it to stop where they want it to stop. They consider using springs, but are unsure about how to make it work.
wajed
Hi,

I would like to make a mount for my LCD monitor, since there aren't any mounts here.

I want the mount to go up and down, left and right, far and close.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID7QNI/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is easy to make, since gravity has nothing to do with it.

But if I want to make a similar one that also goes up and down, I won't be able to simply copy the way it moves left and right, because gravity will make the face of the monitor go all the way toward the ground. So, what can I do? How can I make it stop where I want it to stop?

You can see the monitor is easily moving up and down in this video: (00:20 to 00:25)EDIT: someone suggested using springs, but I have no idea how that would happen! can you explain please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In the video they say they use gas springs, which herehttp://www.guden.com/control-GS5-dup.aspx" , they are basically a gas shock which supports the weight of the monitor, while allowing the arm to be extended to different lengths during repositioning.

The whole point is that I want to make what holds the monitor.

Even if I read a lot on how to make one, it will probably be not easy to implement. I will leave this as a last option.

There is a way that seems to be simple and easy to implement. Using springs.

Please see here: (3:15-3:20)

You will see springs used, but I don't know how these springs will exactly work, how they will be connected, etc.

AFAIK, there are many ways to using springs in holding things, but I'm asking about what appears in that video.

A good idea has come to my mind. I can find used office chairs (which have adjustable heights) and take the gas spring used (I think they are gas springs, whatever they are they do the job.)

The question is, they are very strong! It will be hard for me to pull them down (compress them,) so is there a way to lower their strength? (maybe lowering the amount of gas will do it. But how?)

wajed said:
The whole point is that I want to make what holds the monitor.

Even if I read a lot on how to make one, it will probably be not easy to implement. I will leave this as a last option.

There is a way that seems to be simple and easy to implement. Using springs.

Please see here: (3:15-3:20)

You will see springs used, but I don't know how these springs will exactly work, how they will be connected, etc.

AFAIK, there are many ways to using springs in holding things, but I'm asking about what appears in that video.

It looks to me like they use just a simple rotational spring, where one end is hooked to a stationary point and the other end has the load attatched to it. It also looks like they have an adjustment screw to adjust the preload of the spring for heavier or lighter monitors. You could go down to a store that sells those adjustable lights for desks and see how they work. It would be simple to just use a bolt at the joint then you could tighten or loosen it to adjust its holding power, however it wouldn't be as easy to move the monitor around, since the bolt would put the same force on the arm at all times.

A good idea has come to my mind. I can find used office chairs (which have adjustable heights) and take the gas spring used (I think they are gas springs, whatever they are they do the job.)

The question is, they are very strong! It will be hard for me to pull them down (compress them,) so is there a way to lower their strength? (maybe lowering the amount of gas will do it. But how?)

If you wanted to use an oversized gas spring, you would just have to build your mount so that it had a mechanical disadvantage where the spring attaches, so that the monitor would put more weight on the spring, than it actually is. I would think the ones out of a chair would be way too oversized though, you might could just go to an autoparts store and buy a gas spring that holds the rear glass up on a small hatchback, which should be a lot closer to the proper size. They are not too expensive, and if you wanted to save even more just go to a junkyard and pull one off a wrecked car.

The problem is not that I want something cheap, well, I do, but it's not my primary goal. It's just that there probably aren't any places that sell gas springs as products. I'll go make a search today and see what rotational springs and gas springs are available, and there ain't any I'll look for used office chairs and see how I'd make them more gentle.

Thank you very much.

Why not just get a larger suitable anglepoise lamp and replace the lamp with a monitor bracket. I wouldn't even consider messing about with gas struts and so forth, time is also money. =)

I could be wrong, but I vaguely thought a gas spring is usually used for pushing things open, and often has a built-in damper, to prevent a door from slamming open (?). wajed does not need that function in this application. (Of course, there can be different kinds. But I am referring to a common type.)

Therefore, why would wajed need a gas spring, instead of just a plain longitudinal tension spring? Also, I thought office chairs had a spring-loaded, hydraulic cylinder, just so the chair would have a solid support at any (varying) height (?). Or is this only in older chairs? Have they now switched to gas springs, to prevent slippery oil leaks?

For the computer monitor mount, why not use a plain longitudinal tension spring? You only want to approximately counteract gravity.

nvn said:
For the computer monitor mount, why not use a plain longitudinal tension spring? You only want to approximately counteract gravity.

Agreed, an anglepoise type stand with friction washers and springs, simple is beautiful. =) Its not like monitors are heavy these days.

Related to Making a Mount for LCD Monitor - Up, Down, Left, Right, Far & Close

1. How do I determine the correct size for my LCD monitor mount?

The size of your LCD monitor mount will depend on the size and weight of your monitor. Most mounts have weight and size restrictions listed in their product descriptions, so be sure to check these before purchasing. It is also important to consider the VESA pattern of your monitor, as this will determine if it is compatible with the mount.

2. Can I adjust the height of my LCD monitor with the mount?

Yes, most LCD monitor mounts have the ability to adjust the height of the monitor. This can usually be done by loosening a knob or using a lever to move the mount up or down. Some mounts also have gas springs that allow for smooth height adjustments.

3. How do I mount my LCD monitor on a wall?

If you want to mount your LCD monitor on a wall, you will need to purchase a wall mount specifically designed for this purpose. These mounts typically come with all the necessary hardware and instructions for installation. It is important to make sure the wall and mount can support the weight of the monitor before installing.

4. Can I adjust the angle of my LCD monitor with the mount?

Yes, most LCD monitor mounts have a tilt feature that allows you to adjust the angle of the monitor up or down. Some mounts also have a swivel feature that allows for left and right adjustments. Be sure to check the product description to see if the mount you are considering has these features.

5. How far away from my desk should I mount my LCD monitor?

The optimal distance for mounting your LCD monitor will vary depending on the size of your monitor and your personal preference. However, a general rule of thumb is to have the top of the screen at or slightly below eye level when sitting in your usual viewing position. This will help reduce strain on your neck and eyes.