Majoring in physics at university

In summary, the conversation revolves around a first-year student who is interested in becoming a physicist but has recently become disillusioned with the idea due to the perceived dedication and hard work required in the field. The student also has other interests and fears that pursuing a career in physics will consume all their time. They seek advice on whether they should continue with their physics major or pursue other interests.
quark001
I am a first-year student majoring in physics and (for the time being) philosophy. The courses that I'm taking would also allow me to major in pure maths or applied maths. During my final year at high school, I felt reasonably sure that I wanted to be a physicist. My grades for maths and physics were always good. However, I have recently become disillusioned with the idea of being a physicist. It's not that I dislike physics. It's just it seems to me that to work in physics you need to be incredibly talented and above all, very, very dedicated. You need to know lots of maths, be able to code, work in a lab, write reports and have a good conceptual understanding of all these things, which is quite a diverse range of skills. I get the idea that physicists work much harder than, for example, applied mathematicians. And that the work is generally tougher. I have other interests in life as well, and I'm scared that if I pursue a career in physics, it will eat all my time up. I am a girl and although I don't want to be a housewife with nothing to do all day, I would like to have a family and spend time doing things that aren't work-related (I have many hobbies). At the same time, although I often find physics difficult and frustrating (my current grades are not comparable to the grades I got in high school), physics is the one subject area that I have the most respect and awe for. I am not sure whether I should keep my physics major, because it is tough and time-consuming. And yet I love physics. I'm just not sure whether I will be able to lead a happy, balanced life as a physicist or physics student. (I sometimes envy those humanities students who always seem to have so much time on their hands.) What what you do if you were in my position? Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many areas of study for which I have much appreciation and respect, but yet lack the interest and/or ability to undertake. You must have a willingness to work hard, question, and obviously a desire to learn physics :smile:

Related to Majoring in physics at university

1. What can I do with a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. Other options include teaching, data analysis, and consulting. Many physics majors also go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

2. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics is a challenging major, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding and fulfilling field of study.

3. What are some common courses in a physics major?

Some common courses in a physics major include mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and modern physics. Students may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, or particle physics.

4. What skills will I develop as a physics major?

As a physics major, you will develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of the fundamental principles of the physical world. You will also gain experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and communicating scientific concepts.

5. Can I major in physics if I am not good at math?

Math is a crucial component of a physics major, and students will be expected to have a strong foundation in calculus and other advanced math concepts. However, with dedication and support from professors, many students who struggle with math can still succeed in a physics major.