Major in Engineering or CS & Physics double? Please help me choose.

In summary, the original poster is a man from New Zealand who suffers from depression and wanted to study engineering at the top university in the country. After missing out by a few points, he is considering studying Mechatronics or Engineering Science. However, he has also been advised to follow his heart and pursue his interests, but he is unsure of what he truly wants due to his depression. He has been accepted into two other universities, but they do not offer his desired fields of study. He is considering trying to transfer into the top 30 engineering program, even though it is highly competitive, or studying Physics and Computer Science as a double major. He believes that his depression will improve within three weeks of starting university. Ultimately, he is interested
need_academic
Original post from Reddit

"I’m a guy with a depression from New Zealand and wanted to do engineering at the best university in the country.

Learning and doing science, building hardware and software is my thing. So I wanted to do Mechatronics or Engineering Science there. Unfortunately I missed out by a few points.
At the same university,
as another option I have plan on doing Comp Sci and Physics double major. (I can possibly get into engineering if I am in the top 30 students from BSc or BTech. So its extremely competitive.)
I have spoken with a couple of people and they all told me that pure science may be a dead end and I have to do what my heart wants. But the truth is I don't know what I want. (Depression numbed me out so bad...)

I got into other two universities: one has no Mechatronics and both has no Engineering Science. I have a strong sense of feeling of ‘all or nothing’ because, simply put: whatever I do, I don’t know if I will be happy because I missed out what I truly wanted.
Going with ‘all or nothing’ and giving that top 30 a go might be the best thing for me since cross crediting (or transferring) from other uni is very difficult. And also I believe it gives me a sense of hope. What to live for.
Based on some searches, the second choice university which offers Mechatronics people do not get a very good job compared to the uni I wanted to go. Such thing happens I will be depressed again.
I’m willing to give it a go at that top 30 transfer group no matter how hard that is since I always had general interest towards physics and maths. I will possibly drop CS on the way to lower the pressure.

TL;DR: I’m a guy with a depression who has a strong sense of ‘all or nothing’ from New Zealand didn’t get into engineering at uni I wanted. Not sure if I should do engineering at second choice uni or do BSc and try to be in top 30 transfer to engi group which is super competitive.

I am fully convinced that my depression will go away within 3 weeks of uni study. Please help me make the right decision. I have 3 days left."

I will be very happy doing scientific and research related stuff where it involves robotics.

I have heard number of times that Physics and Computer Science, there is no link. Also Physics major is dead end... (I believe they are wrong)

As of now, I will be going for top 30 engineering transfer group no matter how hard it is going to be. It gives me a sense of hope. What to live for. If fails, I will be doing Physics and CS double major no matter how dead end it is. Or move to other university for engineering. (Unlikely I would say)

Physics news on Phys.org
With Physics and Comp Sci, you will have the components to get back into Mechatronics perhaps in grad school. Also with the combo you'll be able to do computer simulations of physical systems. Physics is far from dead but perhaps in NZ its not as popular as a job profession.

Check out the Open Source Physics at www.compadre.org/osp for java based computer simulation software.

Alternatively you could play with MATLAB which is a key tool for engineering students today.

Anyway, I think doing Physics and Comp Sci is richer than doing Engineering Science alone.

Related to Major in Engineering or CS & Physics double? Please help me choose.

1. Should I major in Engineering or CS & Physics double?

Ultimately, the decision between majoring in Engineering or pursuing a double major in CS & Physics depends on your interests and career goals. Engineering focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design and create solutions, while a CS & Physics double major combines the problem-solving skills of computer science with the analytical and mathematical foundations of physics. Consider your strengths and passions to make the best decision for your future.

2. What are the benefits of majoring in Engineering?

Majoring in Engineering can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including technology, manufacturing, and healthcare. It also provides a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management skills, which are highly valued in the job market.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in CS & Physics?

A double major in CS & Physics can open up opportunities in fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, and research. It also offers a well-rounded education in both computer science and physics, providing a strong background in both theoretical and practical applications.

4. Which major is more challenging: Engineering or CS & Physics double?

Both Engineering and a CS & Physics double major can be challenging in their own ways. Engineering requires a solid understanding of math and physics, as well as hands-on problem-solving skills. A CS & Physics double major requires strong analytical and programming skills, as well as the ability to think critically and abstractly. Ultimately, the level of difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and interests.

5. Can I switch between majors if I change my mind?

It is possible to switch between majors, but it may depend on your university's policies and requirements. It is important to research and understand the requirements for each major before making a decision. Some universities may allow you to double major in Engineering and CS & Physics, while others may only allow you to choose one. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for guidance.