Magnitude of centripedal acceleration

In summary, the problem provides information about a car's speed accelerating from 40 m/s to 84 m/s and traveling counterclockwise around a track with a radius of 660m. Once the car reaches a speed of 68 m/s, the magnitude of centripetal acceleration and angular speed can be calculated using the equations ac=v^2/r and w=v/r. However, the tangential acceleration and total acceleration cannot be determined without additional information.
dr2112

Homework Statement

car speed from 40m/s to 84m/s
traveling counterclockwise around a track 6.6x10^2m
when it reaches 68m/s find:
magnitude of centripedal acceleration
angular speed
tangential acceleration
magnitude of total acceleration

Homework Equations

ac=v^2/r
w=v/r
at= (v-vo)/delta t
a=square root of (ac^2+at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start its been a while since I did physics problems.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your equations are good, but some info is missing in the problem statement. Is the time given? Is 660m the radius of the track?

PhanthomJay said:
Your equations are good, but some info is missing in the problem statement. Is the time given? Is 660m the radius of the track?

Yes, 660m is the radius of the track.

No time is given all it states is that accelerates from 40 m/s to 84 m/s and to find all that info once the car reaches 68m/s

Thanks

Witht the info you have given you can only determine the angular speed and the centripetal acceleration.

The tangential acceleration and the total acceleration need more info...

borgwal said:
Witht the info you have given you can only determine the angular speed and the centripetal acceleration.

The tangential acceleration and the total acceleration need more info...

So here is what I came up with for magnitude and angular speed:

7.006m/s2

0.103rad/s

dr2112 said:
So here is what I came up with for magnitude and angular speed:

7.006m/s2

0.103rad/s

Numerically fine, but too many digits.

borgwal said:
Numerically fine, but too many digits.

Thanks.

Now if I could only figure out how you would get the tangential and total acceleration. There is no other information provided in the problem.:confused:

Where did you get this problem? If your teacher made it up you can ask for more info!
Or is it part of a larger question, and some info was given for previous parts?

borgwal said:
Where did you get this problem? If your teacher made it up you can ask for more info!
Or is it part of a larger question, and some info was given for previous parts?

My teacher gave us this problem, but there is no other info given besides what I hvae. I have already emailed him and still have not got a response.:frown:

Related to Magnitude of centripedal acceleration

1. What is the magnitude of centripetal acceleration?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is the rate at which an object changes direction while moving in a circular path. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is the magnitude of centripetal acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is affected by the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. The greater the speed or the smaller the radius, the greater the magnitude of centripetal acceleration will be.

4. How does the direction of centripetal acceleration compare to the direction of the object's velocity?

The direction of centripetal acceleration is always towards the center of the circular path, while the direction of the object's velocity is tangent to the circular path. This means that the two directions are perpendicular to each other.

5. How does the magnitude of centripetal acceleration relate to centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on an object. This means that the greater the magnitude of centripetal acceleration, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object in its circular path.