Magnitude of angular acceleration- my first post ever in physics forum

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the angular acceleration of a CD that starts at 480 rpm and slows to 210 rpm over a period of 74 minutes. The correct calculation involves converting the final rpm to rad/s and then using the equation ω/t to find the magnitude, which should be positive since it is asking for the magnitude of the acceleration.
sweetwilliam

Homework Statement

CD is playing for 74 min, starts at angular speed of 480 rpm then slows to 210rpm. what's the magnitude of the angular acceleration

Homework Equations

angular acceleration =ω/ t

The Attempt at a Solution

i converted the rev to rad then min to sec then divided by sec and got 50.3 rad/s and 14.7 rad/s ... 14.7-50.3=-35.6/4440s= -.0080 my book says its wrong...fyi this is my first pot in physics forum so i hope i did it all correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sweetwilliam , welcome to Physics Forums.

Your initial angular velocity value looks okay at 50.3 rad/s. You might want to check your value for the final angular velocity.

Hi, thanks...i re-did the final rev/min and got 29.43 but when i put that back into my formula I am still not getting the answer that's in the book...thanks

sweetwilliam said:
Hi, thanks...i re-did the final rev/min and got 29.43 but when i put that back into my formula I am still not getting the answer that's in the book...thanks

That value, 29.43, still doesn't look quite right. Can you expand on your calculation?

i took 281rev/min and multiplied it by 2pi then divided by 60 sec...thanks

oh sorry i meant 210 rev.min x 2pi then divide by 60 which =21.99

ok after using that number i got -.0064 rad/s^2 which is partially correct by why in the book does it say .0064, where did the neg. go?

sweetwilliam said:
ok after using that number i got -.0064 rad/s^2 which is partially correct by why in the book does it say .0064, where did the neg. go?

They asked for the magnitude of the acceleration. Magnitudes are always positive.

OOOHHH yes ok gottcha thanks

Related to Magnitude of angular acceleration- my first post ever in physics forum

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. In other words, it measures how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. How does angular acceleration differ from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity changes. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of angular acceleration?

The magnitude of angular acceleration is affected by the size and direction of the angular force applied to an object, as well as the object's moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion.

5. How is angular acceleration used in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is used in many real-world applications, from the rotation of objects in space to the motion of vehicles and machinery. It is especially important in areas such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and sports biomechanics.