Magnets, Paperclips: Exploring Attraction and Polarization

• Thread starter Interception
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of magnetism on paper clips and how they can become magnetized when in contact with a magnetic field. The concept of polarization and dipole moments was also mentioned, as well as the complexity of ferromagnetism. The conversation ended with a thank you for helping to understand the topic, with the speaker revealing their limited knowledge on the subject due to their background in chemistry.
Interception
So I was goofing off yesterday trying to shoot a magnet off of another magnet because of their similar forces and starting playing with a paperclip. I noticed if I put the paper clip to one magnet, it stuck, as it should. However, when I put the other magnet on the other side of the paper clip, it didn't stick as well if at all. Is this because as the first magnet attracts the paper clip, it begins to polarize it? Like a dipole moment in gases? I would think that would explain why if you have a bunch of paper clips stuck to a magnet for a time, all touching each other, and pull them off they retain their hold on each other for awhile.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of it as polarization, yeah. Though, ferromagnetism is a little more complex than that. But the end result is similar. The paper clip itself becomes essentially a magnet, aligned with magnetic field of whatever you used to magnetize it. Second magnet can reinforce or disrupt the effect depending on orientation, shape, etc.

Ok, thank you. I appreciate the help in figuring it out. I am a Chemistry major, Junior year in college. Only thing I've done with magnetism is a brief explanation of dipole moments and the different kinds of said moments, along with electron spin and polar molecules sooooo I don't know much about it. Thanks again.

Related to Magnets, Paperclips: Exploring Attraction and Polarization

1. What is a magnet?

A magnet is an object that produces a magnetic field and has the ability to attract certain materials such as iron, cobalt, and nickel.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a region where magnetic forces can be observed. This field is created by the alignment of electrons in the magnet, causing one end to have a north pole and the other to have a south pole. Opposite poles attract each other, while like poles repel each other.

3. What is the difference between attraction and polarization?

Attraction refers to the force between two objects with opposite magnetic poles. Polarization, on the other hand, is the alignment of the magnetic domains within a material in response to an external magnetic field. This alignment can create a temporary magnet in the material.

4. How are paperclips attracted to magnets?

Paperclips are made from iron, which is a material that can be magnetized. When a magnet is brought near a paperclip, the magnetic field of the magnet causes the magnetic domains in the paperclip to align, creating a temporary magnet. The opposite poles of the paperclip and the magnet then attract each other, causing the paperclip to stick to the magnet.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen if the magnet is dropped or subjected to high temperatures. It is also possible for magnets to lose their magnetism if they are exposed to a strong enough magnetic field in the opposite direction. However, most magnets will retain their magnetism for a long time if they are kept away from these conditions.