Magneto, determine magnet strength and voltage at rpm

In summary: The magnetic field strength would remain the same at 0.00016 T. In summary, the strength of the magnets is 0.00016 T and the maximum voltage at 1000 rpm is 0.38V.
Jakefreese

Homework Statement

A small engine flywheel rotates at 2000rpm and has 4 permanent magnents pressed into the flywheel at a radius of 10cm spaced 90deg apart 1.2cm diameter magnets. A 1.2cm diameter pickup coil with 500 turns is at the edge of the flywheel. Max voltage detected is .76 volts

What is the strength of the magnets and what would the max voltage be at 1000rpm

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi[/tex]b=NBA[tex]\varpi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

.076=(500)(.011304)(800/3[tex]\pi[/tex] )

B=[tex]\Phi[/tex]/[tex]\varpi[/tex]NA

B=.76/(500)(.011304)(800/3[tex]\pi[/tex]) = .00016 for magnetic strength but I know that Is not right, I am so twisted up on this problem, I think I need to just start back over. any guidance to get me pointed in a better direction would be appreciated. I know I need to factor in the flywheel size, but I am having an issue figuring out what to do to find that.

TIA

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field strength B can be calculated from the equation B = V/(N*A*ω), where V is the maximum voltage detected, N is the number of turns in the pickup coil, A is the area of the magnet, and ω is the angular velocity in rad/s. Therefore, B = .76/(500*(.011304)*(800/3*π)) = 0.00016 T. At 1000 rpm, the maximum voltage detected would be 0.38V (half of the original voltage since the angular velocity is halved).

Related to Magneto, determine magnet strength and voltage at rpm

1. How does a magneto determine magnet strength and voltage at rpm?

A magneto is an electrical generator that uses a rotating magnet to create electricity. As the magnet rotates, it generates a changing magnetic field that induces a voltage in a nearby coil of wire. The strength of the magnet and the speed at which it rotates determine the voltage produced.

2. What factors affect the strength of a magneto's magnet?

The strength of a magneto's magnet is affected by the type of magnet used, the size and shape of the magnet, and the quality of the materials used to construct it. The strength of the magnet also depends on the distance between the magnet and the coil, as well as the speed at which the magnet is rotating.

3. How is the voltage of a magneto determined at a specific rpm?

The voltage produced by a magneto is directly proportional to the speed at which the magnet is rotating. Therefore, to determine the voltage at a specific rpm, the equation V = B x L x N x A x rpm can be used, where V is the voltage, B is the magnetic flux density, L is the length of the coil, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and rpm is the rotational speed in revolutions per minute.

4. Can a magneto be used to determine the strength of a magnet?

Yes, a magneto can be used to determine the strength of a magnet. By measuring the voltage produced by the magneto at a specific rpm, and using the above equation, the strength of the magnet can be calculated. This method is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, where precise measurements of magnet strength are required.

5. What are the applications of using a magneto to determine magnet strength and voltage at rpm?

The applications of using a magneto to determine magnet strength and voltage at rpm are numerous. This method is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and electronics for quality control purposes. Magneto testing is also used for research and development of new materials and magnets, as well as in educational settings for teaching about electromagnetism and electrical generators.