Magnetism: Forces between two parallel wires

In summary: Just be careful with units. You have a mix of cm and m. You don't want to mix them in the same equation.In summary, the conversation discusses two long, straight wires with different currents flowing in the same direction, and a charge placed between them. The magnitude and direction of the force per unit length between the wires is determined using the formula F=qvBsin(theta). The distance to the right of the 8.2A wire where the magnetic field due to both currents is 0 is calculated by setting I1=I2 and using the formula for the magnetic field from a current-carrying wire. The distance is found to be 0.0452m. Finally, using the principle of
mikil100

Homework Statement

Two long, straight wires with a current of 8.2A on the left and 9.3A on the right flowing in the same direction. The distance between the wires is 8.8 cm.

a) What is the magnitude of the force per unit length between these two wires both in length and direction
b) How far to the right of the 8.2A wire is the magnetic field due to both currents 0?
c) Now a charge is placed 5.3cm from the 9.3 A current, moving to the right at 76.6 m/s, the charge is 2.9x10^-6C, What is the magnitude of the total magnetic force on this charge

Homework Equations

[/B]
magcur3.gif

F=qvBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I simply used the first formula with using the radius of 0.088m, I is (9.3*8.2), and pretty much just fill in numbers, for an answer I got 1.7x10^-4 N/m, and the wires are attracted. This wasn't difficult.

For part b I used the first formula and set I1=i2, where I1 is the 8.8 current (to the left) and I2 is the 9.3 current, to the right. The denominator in the equation for the field from I1 is 0.088-r, and for the denominator of I2 it was simple r.
Using this method I achieved a distance of r=0.0452m, which seems to make sense to me as it should be somewhere sort of near the middle of the two wires-- using the curly right hand rule I can tell that the field from both of these wires will negate somewhere in the middle of the two wires and since they are close in magnitude it should therefore be in the center. I am just unsure of my method here. I think from a conceptual standpoint I understand what is happening but I am unsure of my math.

For part c I used the principle of super position to add the two magnetic fields together, using the curly right hand rule I assumed the fields would be adding together and not subtracting. This gave me my magentic field for F=qvB.. I als assumed that because the charge is directly right of the 9.3 charge that it is normal to the two wires and therefore receives the full effect of the field. I plugged the values in which resulted in a force of 1.04x10^-8 N

I hope I am on the right track but this is a big question with room for error and I am new to magnetism. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mikil100 said:
where I1 is the 8.8 current
You mean 8.2, right?
mikil100 said:
The denominator in the equation for the field from I1 is 0.088-r
You are asked for the distance from the 8.2A. Isn't that your I1?
mikil100 said:
Now a charge is placed 5.3cm from the 9.3 A current
Hmm... but how far from the other wire? Is it between them, to the right of the 9.3A, or out of the plane of the wires?

haruspex said:
You mean 8.2, right?

You are asked for the distance from the 8.2A. Isn't that your I1?

Hmm... but how far from the other wire? Is it between them, to the right of the 9.3A, or out of the plane of the wires?

My apologies, I will edit the OP. I1 is 8.2A, I2 is 9.3 A, and the distance between the two is 0.088m.

The charge is moving right, and its original location is to the right of i2, at a distance of 0.053cm from I2

mikil100 said:
My apologies, I will edit the OP. I1 is 8.2A, I2 is 9.3 A, and the distance between the two is 0.088m.
I don't see the correction. It still seems to me your r is the distance from I2, not I1. Are you still getting 0.0452m as the answer?
mikil100 said:
The charge is moving right, and its original location is to the right of i2, at a distance of 0.053cm from I2
Then your method is fine. I'll check the numbers if you post all your working.

I would like to commend you on your efforts in solving this problem and applying the relevant equations. Your approach and calculations seem to be correct and in line with the principles of magnetism. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Also, it is always helpful to provide a clear explanation of your reasoning and assumptions for each step in your solution. Overall, your understanding of magnetism and its principles seems to be solid, and with further practice and experience, you will become more confident in your calculations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Magnetism: Forces between two parallel wires

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that objects with magnetic fields exert on each other. It is caused by the movement of electric charges.

2. How do two parallel wires interact magnetically?

When two parallel wires carry currents in the same direction, they will attract each other. When the currents are in opposite directions, they will repel each other.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between two parallel wires and the strength of the magnetic force?

The strength of the magnetic force between two parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the force decreases.

4. How does the direction of the current in a wire affect its magnetic field?

The direction of the current in a wire determines the direction of its magnetic field. When the current flows in one direction, the magnetic field will wrap around the wire in a clockwise direction. When the current flows in the opposite direction, the magnetic field will wrap around the wire in a counterclockwise direction.

5. Can two parallel wires have a repulsive magnetic force?

Yes, two parallel wires can have a repulsive magnetic force if the currents in the wires are in opposite directions. This is because the magnetic field lines of the two wires will be pointing in the same direction, causing them to repel each other.