Magnetism and human exposure limit

In summary, humans can only tolerate a certain amount of magnetic fields before their bodies start to suffer. Exposure to time-varying fields can be more dangerous than exposure to static fields, and some people have died as a result of experiments involving time-varying fields.
Lateralus
Hey this is more of a general question than a problem...
What happens to a human body after it has reached its magnetic exposure limit (.2 Telsa)? Does the magnetism pull iron out of the blood stream, or cause any severe or fatal health issues? Something must happen, or else there would be no limit. My Physics AP teacher is offering extra credit if we can find any information, so if you know of any sites or can explain it to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
well I just happened to be checking this out not long ago because of a thread on sci.physics

from Lawrence Livermore National laboratory we have:
http://www.llnl.gov/es_and_h/hsm/doc_20.07/tablea5.pdf

A congress report 110 pages long
http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ota/Ota_2/DATA/1989/8905.PDF

Not time varying magnectic or electric field can be much more dangrous then static field can be. Some people have died experimenting from time varying magnectic fields. That is what I have read at lest.
Document from NASA on time varying fields 38 pages:
http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_techrep/TP-2003-212054.pdf

From IEEE we have:(I don't know how old this one is)
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/elfradiation/epri-ieee1-03d.pdf

Exposure limit depends on may factors I suggest starting witht he IEEE link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch...the information is very helpful, not to mention interesting...although I do feel some pity for the rats and mice.

Related to Magnetism and human exposure limit

1. What is magnetism and how does it affect humans?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which objects with magnetic properties, such as iron, are attracted to each other. In terms of human exposure, magnetism can affect our bodies in various ways, depending on the strength and duration of exposure. It can cause discomfort, dizziness, and even damage to internal organs.

2. Is there a limit to how much exposure to magnetism humans can tolerate?

Yes, there is a limit to how much exposure to magnetism humans can tolerate. This is known as the human exposure limit or the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) limit. It is the maximum level of magnetic field strength that a person can be exposed to without experiencing adverse health effects.

3. How is the human exposure limit for magnetism determined?

The human exposure limit for magnetism is determined by various international organizations, such as the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). They conduct extensive research and experiments to establish safe levels of exposure based on the latest scientific evidence.

4. What factors can affect a person's exposure to magnetism?

There are several factors that can affect a person's exposure to magnetism, such as the strength and duration of exposure, the distance from the source of the magnetic field, and the type of magnetic field (static or time-varying). Other factors include the individual's health, age, and physical characteristics.

5. What are the potential health effects of exceeding the human exposure limit for magnetism?

Exceeding the human exposure limit for magnetism can lead to various health effects, such as headaches, nausea, fatigue, and interference with medical devices. Long-term exposure to high levels of magnetism can also increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer and neurological disorders. It is important to adhere to safety guidelines and limit exposure to magnetic fields to prevent these potential health risks.