Magnet experiment performed by a math major (yikes)

In summary, the speaker is a math major who struggles with applying math to other areas of study, particularly physics. They are working on a physics project involving magnets, but their teacher has changed the experiment to include a ramp and varying angles, which the speaker believes will make the project more difficult. They are seeking advice on which equations to use and whether friction and gravity will play a role in the experiment. The expert summarizer provides a formula for the force component along the ramp due to the object's weight and suggests that friction can likely be neglected. They also confirm that the acceleration due to gravity is constant and wish the speaker good luck.
tennesseewiz
Let me first explain my situation here...

I'm a math major and out of all the sciences, physics is my least favorite, but I have to take this science class that forces you to design your own experiments. Math is used in physics all the time, but I have a really hard time connecting math to other areas of study, and I am horrible at physics. My final project has to be a physics project. So, I'm doing it on magnets.

I know Iron, Nickel, and Cobalt are the three metals attracted to magnets. Originally I was designing an experiment with three pieces of each of those three metals and seeing how far away each metal would become attracted to a magnet and then measure how much more Iron is attracted to magnets than the other metals. This was to happen on a flat surface with different masses of the metals (50g, 250g, 500g for each metal), but my teacher said we don't have the resources. So, he having me use a ramp and put a metal on a car and use different degrees for the ramp. He said that would be the same as using different weights on a flat surface. Personally, I think he's just trying to make my life more difficult. I knew that if I kept everything flat, I wouldn't have to worry about extra variables like degrees and stuff like that... But no, he wants to make sure I use as much math with this as possible. I know that because I'm a math major, using a bunch of math should be easy, but I'm not good at applying math at all, I'm a pure math kind of person and have been trying to escape applied mathematics for years.

Anyways, what I wanted to know was, what equations am I going to have to use with this kind of experiment? I have searched the internet to find simple equations, but when I do, the letters in the formulas aren't explained. Also, do you have any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself? Will I have to worry about friction at all? How much is gravity going to play a roll in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force component along the ramp, due to the object's weight, is
m g sinθ
where
m is the mass of the object (metal + car?)
g is the acceleration due to gravity
θ is the angle of the ramp w.r.t. horizontal
So vary the angle in order to effectively vary the weight between 0 and the actual weight.

Since the car would be on wheels, free to roll, you can probably neglect any friction.

Hope that helps.

That was fantastic. Thanks you!

So,
F=mg sin(angle of the ramp)

It's safe to assume that g is always the same, right?

Yes, definitely. Good luck!

Related to Magnet experiment performed by a math major (yikes)

1. What is the purpose of a magnet experiment performed by a math major?

The purpose of a magnet experiment performed by a math major is to explore the relationship between magnetism and mathematical concepts, such as force, polarity, and fields. It allows for a deeper understanding of both physics and mathematics.

2. What materials are needed for the magnet experiment?

The materials needed for a magnet experiment performed by a math major may vary depending on the specific experiment, but typically include magnets of different sizes and strengths, various metal objects, a ruler, and paperclips. A compass is also commonly used to detect magnetic fields.

3. What are some possible outcomes of the magnet experiment?

Some possible outcomes of a magnet experiment performed by a math major include demonstrating the attraction and repulsion between magnets, measuring the strength of magnetic fields, and understanding the concept of magnetic poles and how they affect the behavior of magnets.

4. How does math play a role in the magnet experiment?

Math plays a crucial role in the magnet experiment as it helps to quantify and describe the behavior of magnets. Through mathematical equations, a math major can analyze and predict the forces and fields involved in the experiment, providing a deeper understanding of the principles at work.

5. Can anyone perform a magnet experiment, or is a math major necessary?

Anyone can perform a magnet experiment, but having a math major involved can provide a more in-depth and quantitative analysis of the results. However, with basic knowledge of math and physics, anyone can understand and appreciate the concepts demonstrated in a magnet experiment.