Magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs

In summary: The article discusses how the nanoparticles interact with cells and how they are transported. They also mention how the cells might respond to the nanoparticles. I don't think torque would have an effect on the uptake of nanoparticles.
TESL@
Hello,

Suppose sinosodial AC and pulsed DC magnetic fields with equal rms are applied on animal cells in the presence of magnetic nanoparticles. For the mean field strengths to be equal, the peak value of the square wave (with 50% duty cycles) must be sqrt. 2, which means that the maxiumum field strength of DC will be higher than that of AC. This will lead to a greater torque on the nanoparticles.

My question is if the nanoparticles are near or attached to cell membrane, will the elastic stress on the membrane be responsible for more nanoparticle entering cell than AC field? I can predict such mechanism but I need reliable sources. Any piece of information is appreciated,

Thank you.

edit: Question2. If you know anything about magnetic fields affecting the permeability of cell membrane, please share.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge wrt electrical and magnetic engineering but I can't quite tell what you are proposing. Magnetic nanoparticles are an active area of research for drug delivery, have you looked into this at all? You can easily find a lot of literature. Here's a fairly recent review on the topic:

Magnetic nanoparticles and drug delivering, 2010
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661810000289

Magnetic nanoparticles (MNPs) are being of great interest due to their unique purposes. Especially in medicine, application of MNPs is much promising. MNPs have been actively investigated as the next generation of targeted drug delivery for more than thirty years. The importance of targeted drug delivery and targeted drug therapy is to transport a drug directly to the centre of the disease under various conditions and thereby treat it deliberately, with no effects on the body. Usage of MNPs depends largely on the preparation processes to select optimal conditions and election agents to modify their surface. This review summarizes the most commonly used functionalization methods of the MNPs preparation methods and their use in targeted drug delivery and targeted therapy.

Ryan m b, I am quite into the subject but thank you anyways. I am asking for an explanation of nanoparticles inside pulsed DC penetrating the membrane more than AC fields, preferably with examples.

Why would increased max torque preferentially cause particles to enter the cell?

Cellular uptake of superparamagnetic iron oxide particles has quite a bit of literature. It seems that the predominant pathway is through endocytosis. I don't know how torque would affect endocytosis. That is a process that is more mediated by surface chemicals and labels and so forth. Here is a tutorial:

http://www.jnanobiotechnology.com/content/pdf/1477-3155-11-S1-S7.pdf

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The effect of magnetic fields on cell membranes and the entry of nanoparticles is an area of ongoing research and there is still much to be understood. However, there are some studies that have investigated the influence of magnetic fields on cell membrane permeability.

One study published in the Journal of Applied Physics found that exposure to a pulsed magnetic field increased the permeability of red blood cell membranes, allowing for easier entry of nanoparticles. This was attributed to the formation of transient pores in the membrane due to the mechanical stress caused by the magnetic field.

Another study published in the Journal of Biomedical Materials Research found that magnetic nanoparticles attached to cell membranes can induce changes in the membrane structure, leading to increased permeability. This was seen in both AC and DC magnetic fields.

Overall, it appears that both AC and DC magnetic fields can affect cell membrane permeability and potentially influence the entry of magnetic nanoparticles. However, the exact mechanisms and the extent of this effect are still being studied and more research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you.

Related to Magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs

1. What is the mechanism behind the magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs?

The magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs is a result of the interaction between the magnetic fields of the MNPs and the magnetic dipoles present in the cell membrane. The MNPs exert a torque on the cell membrane, causing it to rotate and align with the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How do MNPs affect the fluidity of the cell membrane?

The presence of MNPs on the cell membrane can affect its fluidity by increasing the friction between the lipid molecules and the MNPs. This can lead to changes in the fluidity of the membrane, which can impact the functioning of the cell.

3. Can the magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This can be achieved through the use of external magnetic fields or by varying the properties of the MNPs themselves.

4. What are the potential applications of studying the magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs?

Studying the magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs has potential applications in various fields such as medicine, bioengineering, and biotechnology. It can be used for targeted drug delivery, magnetic manipulation of cells, and studying the effects of external magnetic fields on cell functioning, among others.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the presence of MNPs on cell membranes?

The presence of MNPs on cell membranes can potentially have harmful effects on cell functioning and may also cause damage to the membrane. It is important to carefully consider the size, composition, and concentration of MNPs used in experiments to minimize any potential risks.