Magnetic force lost when you break a magnet?

In summary, breaking a magnet in half will result in two magnets with the same force if they are broken horizontally, but if broken vertically, each magnet will have half the force of the original. The force of a magnet is proportional to the area of the N or S end, and breaking a modern magnet may not result in equal halves due to its complexity. It is suggested to experiment and observe the results.
Cemelion
if you have a magnet that pulls 40lbs of force if you broke that into 2 how much force will each magnet pull.

i have some neodymium magnets from hardrives and i want to break them up but i want to know if that's gunna make them lose a lot of force. anyone know the formula for calculating such a thing? or better yet just plane old english will work lol. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if you break it in two equal parts they will pull 20 lbs every one

It depends how you break them. If you bereak them like this |S_________|__________N|,
you will get two magnets with the same 40 pounds. Breaking then along the length, would give two magnets of 20 pounds. For a given magnetization, the force is proportional to the area of the (N or S ) end of the magnet.

I'm not at all sure that breaking a modern magnet in half will give you something like 50:50.

I would guess that's true of an old steel magnet but modern crystalline high-power magnets are much more sophisticated and might react badly to being fractured.

Anyway, it would be interesting to find out.

Maybe you will gain some force, since 2 magnets can be placed closer to the surface than 1 big magnet. Why don't you try it out and tell us the result?

Related to Magnetic force lost when you break a magnet?

1. How does breaking a magnet affect its magnetic force?

Breaking a magnet into smaller pieces does not affect the overall magnetic force. Each piece will still have its own north and south poles and will still produce a magnetic field.

2. Is it possible to break a magnet and still have both pieces maintain their magnetic properties?

Yes, it is possible to break a magnet and still have both pieces maintain their magnetic properties. As long as the break is clean and the pieces are still connected, the magnet will continue to produce a magnetic field.

3. Will the strength of a magnet decrease if it is broken into smaller pieces?

No, the strength of a magnet does not decrease when it is broken into smaller pieces. However, the strength of the individual pieces may be weaker compared to the strength of the original magnet, depending on how they are broken.

4. Can a broken magnet be repaired to regain its original magnetic force?

No, a broken magnet cannot be repaired to regain its original magnetic force. The magnetic force is determined by the material and shape of the magnet, so once it is broken, it cannot be restored to its original state.

5. How does breaking a magnet affect its overall structure and composition?

Breaking a magnet does not affect its overall structure and composition. The material and shape of the magnet will remain the same, and it will still produce a magnetic field as long as the broken pieces are connected.