Magnetic flux- is this the correct way to solve it?

In summary, to determine the force necessary to pull a rectangular wire loop into a magnetic field region with a constant velocity, we can use the equations for magnetic flux, induced voltage, and force. By setting the induced voltage equal to the voltage from Ohm's law, we can solve for the charge and use that to calculate the force by multiplying it with the velocity and magnetic field strength. We can also use the motional emf equation to determine the emf induced in the loop and the current through the loop, and then use the current in the force equation to find the force acting on the wire.
t123123

Homework Statement

As shown below, a rectangular wire loop of height 1.0 m, width 1.5 m, mass 0.10 kg, and resistance 10.0 Ω is pulled into a region of uniform magnetic field with magnitude 1.0 T pointing into the page (perpendicular to the plane of the loop). Determine the force necessary to pull the loop completely into the magnetic field region at a constant velocity of 5.0 m/s.

Homework Equations

magnetic flux=BA
inducedvoltage(V) =magnetic flux/dt
V=IR
F=qvB

The Attempt at a Solution

If magnetic flux is Z then
Z=BA
and V= Z/t = BA/ t
V=IR
IR=BA/t
Q/t *R =BA/t
then Q=BA/R
Q=1.0*(1.0*1.5)/10=.15C

F=.15C*5m/s*1.0T=0.75N

Physics news on Phys.org
t123123 said:
Determine the force necessary to pull the loop completely into the magnetic field region at a constant velocity of 5.0 m/s.
What is the emf induced in the loop when the wire is moving with a velocity of 5m/s? Use the motional emf equation.
What is the current through the loop?

Finally, what is the force acting on the wire due to this current?

Thank you! I think I figured it out.I needed to use F=ILB then F=V/RLB and F=dZ/dt/R*LB =BLv/R*LB which is L^2B^2V/R

t123123 said:
Thank you! I think I figured it out.I needed to use F=ILB then F=V/RLB and F=dZ/dt/R*LB =BLv/R*LB which is L^2B^2V/R
Looking good if you used L = side perpendicular to B and dZ/dt.

Related to Magnetic flux- is this the correct way to solve it?

1. What is magnetic flux and how is it defined?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. It is defined as the product of the magnetic field strength and the area perpendicular to the magnetic field.

2. How do you calculate magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area perpendicular to the magnetic field. The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A, where Φ is magnetic flux, B is magnetic field strength, and A is the area perpendicular to the magnetic field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux?

The SI unit for magnetic flux is the weber (Wb). It is equivalent to one volt-second, which is also known as one tesla-square meter (T·m²).

4. What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux and magnetic flux density are related but different quantities. Magnetic flux is a measure of the total number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density measures the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

5. How can I use magnetic flux to solve problems or equations?

Magnetic flux can be used in various equations and problems related to electromagnetism, such as Faraday's law of induction and Ampere's law. It is also commonly used in calculations for generators, motors, and other devices that use magnetic fields. To solve problems involving magnetic flux, you will need to understand the relevant equations and have knowledge of the magnetic field strength and area involved.