Magnetic Fields Produced by Currents

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance H in terms of the radius R of a circular loop of wire and a long, straight wire carrying currents of I1 and I2 respectively. Using the equations for the magnetic field produced by a long straight wire and at the center of a loop, it can be determined that H is equal to the radius R.
Dart82

Homework Statement

A circular loop of wire and a long, straight wire carry currents of I1 and I2 (see the drawing), where I2 = 5.2I1. The loop and the straight wire lie in the same plane. The net magnetic field at the center of the loop is zero. Find the distance H, expressing your answer in terms of R, the radius of the loop.

p21-53.gif

Homework Equations

Magnetic field produced by a long straight wire:
B = (u*I)/2 pi r

Magnetic field at center of a loop:
B = N * [(u*I)/(2R)]

The Attempt at a Solution

honestly i don't know where to begin. I am not getting how the equations i listed will help me to solve for H in terms of R. obviously, i know i have to solve for R in order to find H. I'm confused as to which equation to use. id also assume some type of triangle will come into play here since i am given a right angle. If someone could please help me get going in the right direction on this one i would greatly appreciate it..

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic field produced by a long straight wire:
B = (u*I)/2 pi r
The r in this equation is equal to H. You also know that the wire's field has to cancel out the loop's field. Proceed from there.

i was just about to post this big long reply...but i finally got it! thanks

Related to Magnetic Fields Produced by Currents

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are present. It is produced by moving electric charges, such as currents.

How are magnetic fields produced by currents?

When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the magnitude of the current and the distance from the conductor.

What is the relationship between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current. This means that if the current is flowing in a straight line, the magnetic field will form circular lines around the current.

Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials such as iron or steel. These materials have high magnetic permeability, meaning they can redirect the magnetic field away from the surrounding area.

What are some practical applications of magnetic fields produced by currents?

Magnetic fields produced by currents have various applications in everyday life. They are used in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines and in electronic devices such as speakers and hard drives.