Magnetic field pattern in a hor. plane, wire force direction

In summary: Refer to the illustration in post #1. Direct your attention to the purple concentric rings with the arrowheads. Each of those rings represents a line of magnetic force. The network formed by lines of force is a magnetic field. Your assignment is to draw a horizontal cross section through the composite.
moenste

Homework Statement

A current of 3 A flows down each of two long vertical wires, which are mounted side by side 5 cm apart. Show on a diagram the magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane, indicating clearly the direction of the magnetic field at any point. What is the magnitude and direction of the force on a 25 cm length of a wire?

Answer: 9 * 10-6 N.

2. The attempt at a solution
I did get the correct answer: F = B I L, where B = (μ0 I) / (2 π a) = (4 π * 10-7 * 3) / (2 π * 0.05) = 1.2 * 10-5 T. F = (1.2 * 10-5) * 3 * 0.25 = 9 * 10-6 N.

In terms of other requirements I am not sure.

I see the situation like this:
magnetic_field_moving_charges__right_hand.gif

Though the current goes downwards ("current flows down") and it is presented horizontally and vertically.

Is the image correct? ("Show on a diagram the magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane, indicating clearly the direction of the magnetic field at any point.")

How do we find the direction of the force? The left-hand rule can't be applied here -- the field is in a circle, we don't know it's direction

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic fields of the two wires will interact with each other. That's where the force would come from.
Are the currents flowing in the same direction, or opposite directions?

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
The magnetic fields of the two wires will interact with each other. That's where the force would come from.
Are the currents flowing in the same direction, or opposite directions?
e4a32490f17e.jpg

Like this? We have two wires with current flowing downwards in a horizontal plane.

Diagram seems to show current flowing to the left?
Problem statement does not say whether both currents are in same direction. Be sure to confirm this first.

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
Problem statement does not say whether both currents are in same direction. Be sure to confirm this first.
How can we do that?

My bad. Problem clearly says both currents are flowing down along vertical wires.
You could rearrange your drawing to more closely follow post #1 format. It shows the wire oriented vertically. You would have to reverse the polarity of current, though.

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
My bad. Problem clearly says both currents are flowing down along vertical wires.
You could rearrange your drawing to more closely follow post #1 format. It shows the wire oriented vertically. You would have to reverse the polarity of current, though.
I though that we are required to draw a horizontal picture...

Here it is:
f71b031b7c9b.jpg

"I thought that we are required to draw a horizontal picture..."

No. They mean the plane is horizontal, not the picture.
Your second diagram is more accurate. Note picture in post #1 shows a perspective drawing of the magnetic field in the horizontal plane. That's basically what you are going for, but you can rotate the plane of the magnetic field into the plane of the paper to make the magnetic field easier to draw.

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
That's basically what you are going for, but you can rotate the plane of the magnetic field into the plane of the paper to make the magnetic field easier to draw.
That means I need to draw two circles (like I am looking from the top to the bottom)? What shall I do with them? The direction of the field is changing (it's a circle)...

The field of each wire is actually depicted by concentric circles. The circles represent lines of force, so you would add them vectorially. The field is static, and the directional sense (symbolized by arrowheads) of the field will not change because it's being created by direct current.

Last edited:
Likes moenste
Well something like this?

upload_2016-10-9_21-57-26.png

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
The field of each wire is actually depicted by concentric circles. The circles represent lines of force, so you would add them vectorially. The field is static, and the directional sense (symbolized by arrowheads) of the field will not change because it's being created by direct current.
I think I got it (also checked this video):
8ecbc761836f.jpg

We have B going into the paper and going out of it from the left and right sides respectively. The smaller circles represent the field of the other wire on that wire.

F1 = I1 * L1 * B2 and F2 = I2 * L2 * B1.

If we then take our right hand and the first finger will be in the direction of the current and the middle finger will be in the direction of the field of the other wire then we'll get our forces by the thumb. In both cases the forces are pointed towards the middle.

I think this should be correct.

Refer to the illustration in post #1. Direct your attention to the purple concentric rings with the arrowheads. Each of those rings represents a line of magnetic force. The network formed by lines of force is a magnetic field. Your assignment is to draw a horizontal cross section through the composite magnetic field when the two vertical wires are next to each other 5 cm apart.

Likes moenste
David Lewis said:
Refer to the illustration in post #1. Direct your attention to the purple concentric rings with the arrowheads. Each of those rings represents a line of magnetic force. The network formed by lines of force is a magnetic field. Your assignment is to draw a horizontal cross section through the composite magnetic field when the two vertical wires are next to each other 5 cm apart.
I did that. My drawing is the same, I only used circles that represent field going in and out of the paper. If you don't understand me, just skim through the video in my previous post : ).

The problem asks you to show on a diagram the magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane.
You drew a diagram in the vertical plane.

Likes moenste

Related to Magnetic field pattern in a hor. plane, wire force direction

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are present. It is created by moving electric charges, such as in a wire carrying an electric current.

2. What is a magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane?

A magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane refers to the shape or arrangement of the magnetic field lines in a plane that is parallel to the ground. This can be visualized by placing a compass at different points in the plane and observing the direction of the needle.

3. How is the direction of the wire force determined?

The direction of the wire force is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current in the wire, then your fingers will curl in the direction of the force acting on the wire.

4. What factors affect the magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane?

The shape and orientation of the wire, the magnitude and direction of the current in the wire, and the presence of other magnetic fields in the surrounding space can all affect the magnetic field pattern in a horizontal plane.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic field in a horizontal plane measured?

The strength of the magnetic field in a horizontal plane is measured using a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space.