Magnetic Field from two parallel wires

When the two vectors are added together, the result is a magnetic field of 6.7x10^-5 Tesla.In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnetic field at a point located 14.0 cm from two parallel wires with a distance of 24.0 cm and carrying a current of 5.00 A each. Using Ampere's Law, the magnetic field is solved separately for each wire and then added together, resulting in a magnetic field of 6.7x10^-5 Tesla. Different attempts at solving the problem have been made, including using the equations U0I/2pir, U0I/4pia(cos(theta) -cos(theta2)), and U0I/2pi
Geogargoyle

Homework Statement

Each of two long straight parallel wires separated by a distance of 24.0 cm carries a current of 5.00 A
in the same direction. What is the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field at a point that is 14.0 cm
from each wire?

Homework Equations

U0I/2pir
U0I/4pia(cos(theta) -cos(theta2))
B1 + B2 =B

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried (U0I/2pir)2 as well as U0I/4pia(cos(theta) -cos(theta2)) Where theta 1 is approx 30 and theta 2 is approx 150. r in both equations have been .14. I have also tried U0I/2pi(.14) + U0I/2pi(.24-.14). And a series of other variations which never yield close to the given potential answers. Been working on this for 5 days now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation of the magnetic field is solved for each wire separately using Ampere's Law. This is a vector problem and it can help to draw a diagram with the current from the two wires flowing into the plane of the paper. The magnetic field from each wire is in a circular clockwise direction around each wire when the electrical current points into the plane of the paper.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to Magnetic Field from two parallel wires

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It exerts a force on other magnets or moving charged particles.

2. How are magnetic fields created by two parallel wires?

When two parallel wires carry an electric current in the same direction, they create a magnetic field between them. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the distance between the wires and the amount of current flowing through them.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The magnetic field between two parallel wires is always perpendicular to the wires and forms concentric circles around them. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out and become less concentrated as they move farther away from the wires.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic field be reversed by changing the direction of the current in one of the wires?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field between two parallel wires can be reversed by changing the direction of the current in one of the wires. This will cause the magnetic field lines to also reverse direction, resulting in an overall change in the direction of the magnetic field between the wires.