Magnetic field energy inside a linear dielectric

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic field at internal and external points of a sphere with linear magnetic properties, as well as the demagnetization factor and the energy stored within the sphere. The expression for the change in magnetic field energy is found to be correct, but there is an error in the final expression for U. The correct expressions for U and U' are (4π/3) a^3 Bo^2 (μ-μο)/(2μο+μ) and (4π/3) a^3 Bo^2 (μ-μο)/(μ+2μο), respectively.
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

A Sphere made of a linear magnetic of radius a and permeability μ is placed in an external uniform magnetic field Bo.
1) Assuming Laplace equation solutions find magnetic field at an internal and external poinnt.
2) Find the demagnetization factor of the sphere.
3) CALCULATE THE MAGNETIC FIELD ENERGY STORED WITHIN THE SPHERE.
I had no trouble finding and verifying part 1 and 2 from standard books.I did find part 3 . But not being able to verify it.This is a University exam question.
Here are the answers that I found out: I assumed Bo =μο Ho where μο is permeability of the medium in which the sphere is placed.

Binternal=(3μBo z^)/( μ+2 μο)

Bexternal= Bo z^+ (Bo) (a/r)^3 (μ-μο/2μο+μ)( r^ cosθ + θ^ sin θ)
The demagnetizing factor is 4π/3.

All these answers matched with standard electrodynamics textbooks.But I couldn't find answer to the 3rd part.Here is how I am doing it.
I referred to Pg 166 and 214 of J.D.Jackson's book.
Before the sphere was introduced the energy in the field was:
Wo = 1/2 ∫ (BoHo) dV
After the sphere is introduced the energy changes to
Wi = 1/2 ∫ (BH) dV
So the change in energy:
ΔW = 1/2∫( BoHo -BH) dV = 1/2∫ ( μ-μο/μμο)BBo dV.
U = ΔW
U = 1/2 0a [ Binternal Bo z^]( μ -μο /μμο) 4πr2 dr.
Finally U = 2π a3Bo2 (μ-μο/2μο+μ)/μο
Change in magnetic field energy must be stored within the sphere as potential energy given by U.

IS MY EXPRESSION FOR U CORRECT??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your expression for the change in magnetic field energy seems to be correct, but there is an error in your final expression for U. The correct expression should be:

U = (4π/3) a^3 Bo^2 (μ-μο)/(2μο+μ)

Also, it is worth noting that this expression for U represents the energy stored in the magnetic field outside of the sphere. The energy stored inside the sphere would be given by:

U' = (4π/3) a^3 Bo^2 (μ-μο)/(μ+2μο)

This is because the energy stored inside the sphere would be equal to the change in energy of the external field, which would be equal to the energy stored in the external field minus the energy stored in the sphere itself. So, the total energy stored would be the sum of U and U'.

Hope this helps!

Related to Magnetic field energy inside a linear dielectric

1. What is a linear dielectric?

A linear dielectric is a material that can be polarized by an applied electric field, meaning that the material's atoms or molecules can align themselves in response to the field.

2. How is magnetic field energy stored in a linear dielectric?

Magnetic field energy is stored in a linear dielectric through the alignment of the material's electric dipoles in response to an applied magnetic field. This causes the material to become magnetized and store energy in the form of magnetic fields.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic field energy and electric fields in a linear dielectric?

In a linear dielectric, there is a direct relationship between the magnetic field energy and electric fields. As the electric field increases, the magnetic field energy also increases and vice versa.

4. How does the magnetic field energy inside a linear dielectric affect its properties?

The presence of magnetic field energy in a linear dielectric can lead to changes in the material's properties, such as its permeability and susceptibility. This can also have an impact on the material's behavior in the presence of electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can the magnetic field energy inside a linear dielectric be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field energy inside a linear dielectric can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the applied electric or magnetic fields. This can have implications in various applications, such as in electronic devices and electromagnetic shielding.