Calculating H-Field with no free currents

• Thread starter mrshneaky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the problem involves a cubic block of uniform linear magnetic material placed in a uniform magnetic field with no free currents. The goal is to compute the new H and B fields everywhere. The solution so far involves using equations (1) and (2) to calculate H and B, but there are concerns about boundary conditions as M is discontinuous at the boundary of the cube. The divergence of H is also not equal to zero, which raises questions about the accuracy of the calculated H field. Further clarification or tips for solving the problem would be appreciated.
mrshneaky

Homework Statement

[/B]
A cubic block of uniform linear magnetic material is placed in an otherwise uniform magnetic field
Bo = Bo*. The block lies such that z^ is a normal of the top face.
a)Compute the new H field everywhere.
b)compute the new B field everywhere

Homework Equations

& The attempt at a solution[/B]

My solution so far is based on the fact there are no free currents
ie curl(H) = 0

Using:
B = Bo +μo*M (1) (from hyper physics)
H
=B/μo -M (2) (from lecture notes)

substituting (1) into (2) I get:

H = Bo/μo

(I'm not sure if this is correct)

computing the B-field then using B=μ*H
I get:
**B**=μr*Bo note: μr is relative permittivty (μ/μo)

I'm not sure if this is correct regarding boundary conditions as M is discontinuous at the boundary of the cube.
ie the div(M) ≠ 0

and since div(H) = -div(M) (this can be shown by taking the divergence of (2) as div(B) = 0)

so div(H) should also not equal zero, however given the H field I calculated that's clearly not the case.

any tips for where I'm going wrong?

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
is this from an assignment or from a textbook question? i remember seeing something similar

Related to Calculating H-Field with no free currents

1. How is the H-field calculated in the absence of free currents?

The H-field is calculated by using Ampere's law, which states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through that loop. In the absence of free currents, the H-field is generated by the flow of electric displacement current through the loop.

2. What is the role of displacement current in calculating the H-field?

Displacement current is a term used to describe the flow of electric charge through a medium, even in the absence of free charges. In calculating the H-field with no free currents, displacement current plays a crucial role as it is responsible for generating the H-field through Ampere's law.

3. How does the H-field behave in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, the H-field follows the same rules as in any other medium. It is still calculated using Ampere's law and is generated by the flow of displacement current. However, since there are no free charges in a vacuum, the H-field will only be present if there is a changing electric field.

4. Can the H-field be calculated in a material with no free charges?

Yes, the H-field can still be calculated in a material with no free charges. This is because materials still have a permittivity and permeability, which affect the behavior of the electric and magnetic fields. In this case, the H-field is still generated by the flow of displacement current through the material.

5. How is the H-field related to the B-field?

The H-field and B-field are closely related as they both describe the behavior of the magnetic field. The H-field is calculated using Ampere's law, while the B-field is calculated using the magnetic flux density. The relationship between the two is given by the permeability of the material, with B = μH, where μ is the permeability of the material.