Magnetic fied at center of semicircle Ampere's Law Biot-Savart Law

In summary: For an infinite wire, B = μ0I/2(pi)Rc) Sum gives: μ0piI+2μ0I/4(pi)Rcorrect?In summary, using superposition, Ampere's Law, and the Biot-Savart Law, the magnetic field at the center of a semicircular wire with straight segments extending to infinity in both directions can be determined by considering the contribution of each section of wire. The magnetic field at the point P due to the wire of radius 'R' is (1/2)(μ0I / 2R), while for an infinite wire, it is μ0I/2(pi)R. The vector sum of these contributions yields
sweetdion

Homework Statement

A long wire is bent into semicircle of radius R at its center and continues on to infinity in both direcions with the straight segments remaining parallel, as shown in the figure below. Use your knowledge of superposition, Ampere's Law, and the Biot-Savart Law to determine the magnetic field at the center of the semicircle by way of the following steps:

a) determine the contribution due to the semicicular wire segment
b) determine the conribution of each straight wire segment by considering them to be semi-infinite using symmetry, as they each represent "half" of an infinite wire.
c) determine the vector sum of these three contributions, including both magnitde and direction of the result

Homework Equations

dB=uI/2(pi)R
B = μ0I/2(pi)R

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The magnetic field at the point P due to the wire of radius 'R' is
B = (1/2)(μ0I / 2R)
b) For an infinite wire, B = μ0I/2(pi)R
c) Sum gives: μ0piI+2μ0I/4(pi)R

correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just need to know if this right?

You left out the figure. It is difficult to see how the straight segments are oriented without a figure. Are the two straight segments collinear or just parallel? Are they at right angles to the plane of the semicircle, or do they lie within the plane of the semicircle? Or are they oriented some other way?

Edit added:
Remember that B is a vector, so you need to follow the rules of vector addition. You can't just add up the expressions for each wire section, unless B happens to point in the same direction for each section.

Last edited:
apologies.

100_0200.jpg

--sweetdion

Okay, that helps. Thanks!
sweetdion said:

The Attempt at a Solution

B = (1/2)(μ0I / 2R)
b) For an infinite wire, B = μ0I/2(pi)R
c) Sum gives: μ0piI+2μ0I/4(pi)R

correct?
Sorry, that's not correct. (Though you are correct about B for the semicircle, and an infinite wire.)

Here are some questions for you, to help you reason things through:

1. What is B for each half-infinite wire?

2. What is the direction of B for each section of wire (the lower-left half-infinite piece, the semicircle, and the upper-right half-infinite piece)?

3. How do the three B's you have add up, realizing that they are vectors and might point in different directions?

Hope that helps.

Redbelly98 said:
Okay, that helps. Thanks!

Sorry, that's not correct. (Though you are correct about B for the semicircle, and an infinite wire.)

Here are some questions for you, to help you reason things through:

1. What is B for each half-infinite wire?
I just divide the original equation by 2 to get B=u0I/4PiR

2. What is the direction of B for each section of wire (the lower-left half-infinite piece, the semicircle, and the upper-right half-infinite piece)?
Right hand rule gives
Lower Left: Up
Semicirle: Left
Upper Right: Up

3. How do the three B's you have add up, realizing that they are vectors and might point in different directions?

I need to know if I'm right so far to do this part.

I think you need to check #2. The semicircle doesn't induce a leftward-pointing field, nor does the upper right segment induce an upward field.

Let me try agian,

Semicirle: Right
Upper Right: Down

I don't think they can be coming into or out of the paper because it seems way to simple for that.

sweetdion said:
Semicirle: Right
Upper Right: Down

I don't think they can be coming into or out of the paper because it seems way to simple for that.
You're correct for the lower-left and upper-right parts, but not for the semicircle.
Hint for the semicircle: imagine a very short wire section within the arc. What is the direction of B due to that short section?

okay so out of the page

The up and down components of the total B cancel giving that the Btot=uI/2PiR out of the page

sweetdion said:
The up and down components of the total B cancel giving that the Btot=uI/2PiR out of the page
You're very close! The up and down contributions from the straight sections do cancel, leaving an upward contribution from the semicircle. And as you said in your first post...
sweetdion said:
B = (1/2)(μ0I / 2R)

Related to Magnetic fied at center of semicircle Ampere's Law Biot-Savart Law

What is the magnetic field at the center of a semicircle?

The magnetic field at the center of a semicircle can be found using the Biot-Savart law. This law states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current flowing through a wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. In the case of a semicircle, the magnetic field at the center is zero because the current flowing through the semicircle cancels out due to its symmetrical shape.

What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electric currents and the resulting magnetic fields they produce. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop multiplied by the permeability of free space. This law is often used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point due to a current-carrying wire or a group of wires.

How is the Biot-Savart law used to calculate the magnetic field?

The Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field at a point due to a current-carrying wire or a group of wires. It involves taking the cross product of the current element and the vector connecting the current element to the point of interest. By integrating this cross product over the entire wire, the magnetic field at the desired point can be determined.

What is the difference between Ampere's Law and the Biot-Savart law?

Ampere's Law and the Biot-Savart law both describe the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. However, Ampere's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field around a closed loop, while the Biot-Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point. Additionally, Ampere's Law only applies to steady currents, while the Biot-Savart law can be used for both steady and non-steady currents.

Can the Biot-Savart law be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point?

Yes, the Biot-Savart law can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point due to a current-carrying wire or a group of wires. However, it is only applicable to steady currents and is limited to simple geometries. For more complex situations, numerical methods such as the finite element method may be used.