Biot-Savart Law For Calculating Net Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net magnetic field at a point between two long wires, one of which has a semicircular bend. The wires carry a current and the direction of the current in the straight wire is determined using the right hand rule. The equation for the magnetic field from an infinite straight current carrying wire is provided, and it is used to find the net magnetic field between the two wires. The final answer is obtained by setting the two magnetic fields equal to each other and solving for the distance between the parallel sections of the wires.
Ignitia

Homework Statement

Two long wires, one of which has a semicircular bend of radius R, are positioned as shown in the accompanying figure. If both wires carry a current I, how far apart must their parallel sections be so that the net magnetic field at P is zero? Does the current in the straight wire flow up or down?

68161-12-21PEI1.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
Vector of Magnetic Field:

B = μo /4π ∫ I * (dL X rΛ) / r2

rΛ is a vector. (no symbol available for it)

Magnitude of Magnetic Field:
B = (μo/4π) ∫ I*R*dθ/R2

μo = 4π*10-7 T * m/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, since wires have a 'parallel' parts, they cancel out, leaving only the semicircle and second wire needed to be calculated. Current on 1st wire heads upward, so Right Hand Rule indicates the field going inward at P from the semicircle. To cancel out, the field on the straight wire has to go outward - right hand rule says I should be upward as well. (Correct?)

B for semicircle:
B = (μo/4π) ∫ I*R*dθ/R2
B = (I*μo/4π)/R ∫dθ

∫dθ = π

so: B = (I*μo/4π)/R

Now I have to find -B with respect of the second current I with r = a, and add them together to get the answer.

B = (μo/4π) ∫ I*a*dθ/a2
B = (I*μo/4π)/R ∫dθ

∫dθ = 0

Meaning B = 0, which I know is not correct. Help?

Attachments

• 68161-12-21PEI1.png
    68161-12-21PEI1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,748
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignitia said:
I should be upward as well. (Correct?)
Seems OK to me
Ignitia said:
of the second current I with r = a
What is the B field from an infinite straight current carrying wire ?

Likes Ignitia
Ignitia said:
B = (I*μo/4π)/R ∫dθ

∫dθ = π

so: B = (I*μo/4π)/R
The π in the denominator of the last equation cancels with the π from the integral.

Likes Ignitia and BvU
kuruman said:
The π in the denominator of the last equation cancels with the π from the integral.
Woops, missed that. Thanks.

BvU said:
Seems OK to me
What is the B field from an infinite straight current carrying wire ?

okay, got it. Infinite wire simplifies to B = μ0 * I / 2πa

So B1 - B2

μ0 * I / 4R - μ0 * I / 2πa = 0

μ0 * I / 4R = μ0 * I / 2πa

4R = 2πa

2R/π = a

Thanks!

Related to Biot-Savart Law For Calculating Net Magnetic Field

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law and how does it relate to calculating the net magnetic field?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field created by a steady current. It states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current passing through a nearby wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. This law is used to calculate the net magnetic field produced by a combination of currents.

2. What are the variables involved in the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law involves three main variables: the current (I), the distance from the wire (r), and the angle between the wire and the point of interest (θ). Other variables that may be involved include the permeability of free space (μ0) and the length of the wire (l).

3. How do you use the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the net magnetic field?

To use the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the net magnetic field, you must first determine the individual magnetic fields produced by each current in the system. Then, you can use the principle of superposition to add these individual magnetic fields together to find the net magnetic field at a specific point in space. This process involves using vector addition and taking into account the direction and magnitude of each magnetic field.

4. What types of currents can the Biot-Savart Law be applied to?

The Biot-Savart Law can be applied to any steady current, meaning a current that is not changing with time. This includes direct currents (DC) as well as alternating currents (AC) that have a constant magnitude and direction. It can also be applied to complex systems of currents, such as those found in electromagnets or motors.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using the Biot-Savart Law?

One limitation of the Biot-Savart Law is that it only applies to steady currents. It also assumes that the current is flowing through a thin wire and that the distance between the wire and the point of interest is much smaller than the distance from the wire to the other currents in the system. Additionally, it assumes that the current is evenly distributed along the wire and that the wire is straight. In some cases, these assumptions may not hold true and can affect the accuracy of the calculated magnetic field.