Magnetic Attraction: Exploring E&M Wire Interactions

In summary, wires in our homes are not constantly attracting or repulsing each other because they are not constantly changing, but they are attracted or repelled by power lines because they are constantly changing.
PhysicsInNJ
Apologies if this is being posted in the wrong section! this is just a side thought I came across, it is not HW.

In learning about magnetism, I know that a changing current in a wire creates a magnetic field. So why are wires in our homes/ anything with wires close together not constantly attracting or repulsing each other?
At first I thought this was because they are not changing except when turned on/off which is such a small amount of time that the B field is negligible. But then I remembered that most homes have AC which is constantly changing anyways.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsInNJ said:
a changing current in a wire creates a magnetic field.

Actually, any current, whether constant or changing, creates a magnetic field.

So why are wires in our homes/ anything with wires close together not constantly attracting or repulsing each other?

They are! However, these forces are too small to be noticeable under everyday conditions.

Ok, can see why household wires have negligible effects. But what about wires carrying large currrents, like power lines?

Distribution lines carry larger voltages and therefore smaller currents for equal amounts of power. The lines running along your street probably carry more current than a typical circuit in your house, but not by as much as you would expect if the voltages were equal. I haven't actually worked out the numbers myself, but it would be a nice exercise to find out the typical currents in those lines, and the typical spacing between them (1 m for neighborhood distribution lines?), and calculate the force per length of wire.

It also might make a difference that the usual formulas for magnetic fields and forces assume constant currents, whereas electical power systems are AC. The average force between two parallel wires probably depends on the relative phase of the currents in them.

Typical appliance cords and coaxial cables have two wires flowing in opposite directions.

The forces in power lines become significant during short circuits when the currents are many times larger than normal.

Related to Magnetic Attraction: Exploring E&M Wire Interactions

1. What is magnetic attraction?

Magnetic attraction is a physical phenomenon that occurs when two magnetic objects are drawn towards each other due to their magnetic fields.

2. How does magnetic attraction work?

Magnetic attraction is the result of the interaction between the magnetic fields of two objects. The magnetic field of one object creates a force on the magnetic field of the other object, causing them to be attracted to each other.

3. What factors affect magnetic attraction?

The strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the objects, and the orientation of the objects' magnetic fields are all factors that can affect the strength of magnetic attraction.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism in regards to magnetic attraction?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related, and they both play a role in magnetic attraction. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and magnetic fields can induce electric currents in conductors.

5. How is magnetic attraction used in everyday life?

Magnetic attraction is used in many everyday objects and technologies, such as electric motors, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and as a method of separating materials in recycling facilities.