Magnet moved through copper ring

In summary, for each situation described, there will be a current induced in the ring when the magnet is moved horizontally towards the left or when the ring is moved away from the magnet. There will not be a current induced when the ring is rotated around any of its diameters or when the magnet is moved up or down. However, there will be a current induced when the ring is rotated around its center in the plane in which it lies, similar to if the magnet were rotated. Further explanation and confirmation of the reasoning for these answers may be needed.
Padenton

Homework Statement

The figure shows a ring of copper with its plane perpendicular to the axis of the nearby rod-shaped magnet. For each of the situations described below, indicate whether there will or will not be a current induced in the ring and justify your reasoning, drawing pictures if necessary.

The magnet is moved horizontally toward the left?
The ring is moved away from the magnet?
The ring is rotated around any of its diameters?
The magnet is moved up or down?
The ring is rotated around its center in the plane in which it lies?

Homework Equations

ΔFlux=Induced Current

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnet is moved horizontally toward the left?
Yes, there will be a change in flux so a current will be induced.

The ring is moved away from the magnet?
Yes, there will be a change in flux so a current will be induced.

The ring is rotated around any of its diameters?
No, there would not be a change in flux so no current will be induced.

The magnet is moved up or down?
No, there would not be a change in flux so no current will be induced.

The ring is rotated around its center in the plane in which it lies?
Yes, there will be a change in flux similar to if the magnet rotated, therefore a current will be induced.

Im not sure how correct my reasoning or answers are, any explanation or help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• maglev.jpg
    maglev.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your third, fourth, and fifth answers are wrong. See sketch for #3. For number 4 I suspect there is a clever hand waving argument but I can't think of it right now so I got a large coil of wire, a magnet, and a digital volt meter and seemed to confirm my hunch that the movement in question 4 should generate induced current, not a large one though compared with the others. For number 5 the integral of BdotA does not change in time so there is no induced current.

Attachments

• induced197.jpg
    induced197.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 469

Related to Magnet moved through copper ring

What is the "Magnet moved through copper ring" experiment?

The "Magnet moved through copper ring" experiment is a demonstration of electromagnetic induction where a magnet is passed through a copper ring, causing a current to be induced in the ring.

How does the "Magnet moved through copper ring" experiment work?

The magnet produces a changing magnetic field as it moves through the copper ring, which in turn induces a current in the ring. This is due to the principle of electromagnetic induction, discovered by Michael Faraday in 1831.

What is the purpose of the "Magnet moved through copper ring" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the induction of a current. It also shows how electricity and magnetism are interconnected.

What materials are needed for the "Magnet moved through copper ring" experiment?

To perform this experiment, you will need a copper ring, a magnet, and a power source. You may also want to use an ammeter to measure the induced current.

What are some real-life applications of the "Magnet moved through copper ring" experiment?

The principles demonstrated in this experiment are used in many everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the basis for wireless charging technology.