Magnet faling near an iron wll

• Thread starter Peter Persoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron Magnet
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to a problem involving a magnet dropped near an iron wall and its acceleration due to gravity and the wall. The suggested solution involves a uniformly accelerated motion in both the vertical and horizontal directions. The equation for the horizontal position includes a constant third derivative.
Peter Persoff
I posted this in general math, but then I saw that calculus and analysis was a more appropriate place for it. I am looking for a solution to this problem:

When a magnet is dropped from rest near an iron wall, it accelerates downward due to gravity at constant acceleration. It also accelerates toward the wall, and the closer it gets to the wall, the greater the acceleration. Can anyone refer me to a solution that would give the position of the magnet as a function of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would just be a uniformly accelerated motion in each of the directions, no? One direction would be the vertical one due to gravity, the other would be normal to the wall (horizontal if the wall is vertical).

Looks to me like the vertical position would have a uniform negative second derivative, and the horizontal position would have a uniform positive third derivative, perhaps?

i.e.

[tex]x=\frac{1}{6}kt^{3}+\frac{1}{2}a_{0}t^{2}+v_{0}t+x_{0}[/tex]

where k is the constant third derivative

Last edited:
Oops, my bad, bowma is right, the horizontal position would have a uniform third derivate, not uniform second derivate:P

Related to Magnet faling near an iron wll

What is the phenomenon of a magnet falling near an iron wall?

The phenomenon of a magnet falling near an iron wall is known as magnetic attraction. This occurs because the iron wall is made up of tiny magnetic domains that align with the magnetic field of the falling magnet, creating a force that pulls the magnet towards the wall.

Why does a magnet fall towards an iron wall?

A magnet falls towards an iron wall because of the presence of a magnetic field. The iron wall is attracted to the magnet due to its magnetic properties, causing it to move towards the magnet.

What factors affect the strength of the magnet's attraction to the iron wall?

The strength of the magnet's attraction to the iron wall can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the magnet and the wall, the strength of the magnet, and the composition of the iron wall.

What happens if the magnet is dropped at an angle towards the iron wall?

If the magnet is dropped at an angle towards the iron wall, it will still be attracted to the wall. However, the force of attraction may be reduced as the magnet will have a component of its weight acting in a direction away from the wall.

Can a magnet be repelled by an iron wall?

No, a magnet cannot be repelled by an iron wall. The magnetic properties of the iron wall will always attract the magnet, regardless of its orientation or strength. Only magnets with opposite poles can repel each other.