Maclaurin series for multivariable

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Maclaurin series formula to expand functions into series. The speaker has successfully expanded some functions but encounters difficulties with functions involving multiplication. The other speaker explains that the Maclaurin series is essentially a Taylor's series evaluated at x=0 and suggests using the given equations instead of re-differentiating. The conversation ends with a question about whether the formula can be applied to functions with multiple variables to avoid the differentiation process.
manenbu

Homework Statement

I got a few functions I need to expand to series using Maclaurin forumlas.

Homework Equations

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MaclaurinSeries.html

The Attempt at a Solution

So here are the ones I managed to do:
[tex] f= \sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} [/tex]
writing it in another form:
[tex] f= (1+(-x^2-y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]
Then I use:
[tex](1+x)^m = 1 + mx + ..[/tex]
as a function of one variable where [tex]x = -x^2-y^2[/tex] and I get the correct answer.
same goes for
[tex]z=\frac{1}{1-x+2y}[/tex]
and
[tex]p=\ln(1+x+y)[/tex].
Basically - I found that whenever there is no multiplication involved, I can just treat the two variables as one big variable and it works (according to my given answers).
The problem comes when I got stuff like this:
[tex]g=\frac{\cos{x}}{\cos{y}}[/tex]
or
[tex]v=e^{x}\cos{y}[/tex].
Expanding each part and then dividing or multiplying (as you would you do if it was a true single var function) doesn't work. Expanding with taylor series from the start works - but the point is to use the maclaurin series.
So where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
?? The MacLaurin series is a Taylor's series, just evaluated at x= 0.

I know, but the MacLaurin series are given equations so you will not have to differentiate all over again. For example, for functions in the form of ex or siny. You just plug it in the formula.
My question is - can it be done for functions like f(x,y) = exsiny? If yes - how? This way the differentiation process can be avoided.

Related to Maclaurin series for multivariable

1. What is a Maclaurin series for multivariable?

A Maclaurin series for multivariable is a method of representing a multivariable function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a polynomial in the variables. It is similar to a Maclaurin series for one variable, but it takes into account multiple variables.

2. How is a Maclaurin series for multivariable different from a Taylor series?

A Maclaurin series for multivariable is a special case of a Taylor series, where the center of expansion is at the origin. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series at x=0. Additionally, a Maclaurin series involves multiple variables, while a Taylor series can involve one or more variables.

3. What is the purpose of using a Maclaurin series for multivariable?

A Maclaurin series for multivariable can be used to approximate a multivariable function in a certain domain. It can also be used to find derivatives and integrals of the original function, which can be helpful in solving mathematical problems.

4. How is a Maclaurin series for multivariable calculated?

A Maclaurin series for multivariable is calculated using the partial derivatives of the original function at the center of expansion (x=0). The coefficients of each term in the series are determined by the Taylor formula, which involves the derivatives of the function evaluated at the center of expansion.

5. Can a Maclaurin series for multivariable represent any function?

No, a Maclaurin series for multivariable can only represent functions that are analytic, meaning they can be expressed as an infinite sum of powers of the variables. Functions that are not analytic, such as non-differentiable or non-continuous functions, cannot be represented by a Maclaurin series.