Maclaurin remainder interval estimate

In summary, the question is asking for an upper bound for |x^4\sinh(c)|/24 if |x| \leq 1 and |c| \leq |x|. Given that P3(x) = x + (1/6)(x3), solving R3(x) up to the point shown gives an estimate for |R_3(x)| < (1/12) as sinh(1) < 2. It then becomes clear that 1/16 is the best estimate for |R_3(x)|.
chief10

Homework Statement

The question asks to estimate the remainder on the interval |x|≤ 1.
f(x) is given as sinh(x).

I solved the polynomial P3(x) = x + (1/6)(x3)

I then went ahead and solved R3(x) up to the point shown below.

R3(x) = (sinh(c)*x4)(1/24)I then don't know how to go about getting the estimate. It clearly lies between 0 and x but it escapes me.. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re-read whatever is in your notes or textbook on estimating the remainder, or just look it up on wikipedia. That should give you an idea of what to do next.

I did do that.. however I can't seem to procure the answer given in the text of

|R3(x)| < (1/12) as sinh(1) < 2

I can't make sense of that.

The question is basically asking you for an upper bound (not necessarily a least upper bound) for [itex]|x^4\sinh(c)|/24[/itex] if [itex]|x| \leq 1[/itex] and [itex]|c| \leq |x|[/itex].

So how you maximize [itex]|x^4\sinh(c)|[/itex] subject to those constraints?

sub in 1 i guess since it's inclusive?

i still don't get however how you ascertain that R3(x) is less than 1/12th

Last edited:
No ideas anyone?

i'm going to beg lol

chief10 said:
sub in 1 i guess since it's inclusive?

Correct. That gives you [itex]|R_3(x)| \leq \sinh(1)/24[/itex].

Now you need to show, from the definition of sinh, that [itex]\sinh(1) < 2[/itex]. Then you can conclude that
[tex]|R_3(x)| \leq \sinh(1)/24 < 2/24 = 1/12.[/tex]

why would you need to show that it's less than 2 though? i mean of all the numbers to pick, if you didn't know the answer, why would you pick 2?

chief10 said:
why would you need to show that it's less than 2 though? i mean of all the numbers to pick, if you didn't know the answer, why would you pick 2?

The basic answer is that simply leaving the estimate as sinh(1)/24 feels incomplete. For many reasons it is preferable to give a rational estimate, which had better be bigger than sinh(1)/24 (although not so much bigger as to be useless).

The crudest way is to note that [itex]\sinh(1) = (e - e^{-1})/2 < e/2 < 2[/itex], since [itex]e < 4[/itex].

But that's really the largest useful estimate: an immediate improvement is to note that actually [itex]e < 3[/itex], so [itex]e/2 < 3/2[/itex], which gives an estimate of [itex]|R_3(x)| < 3/(2 \times 24) = 1/16.[/itex]

okay i'll make note of that

thanks a lot for your help pasmith, it's been much appreciated.. do you mind if i shoot a few more maclaurin's your way in the future if i have an issue? possibly via PM?

Related to Maclaurin remainder interval estimate

What is a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate?

A Maclaurin remainder interval estimate is a mathematical concept used to approximate the value of a function using a polynomial. It is based on the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of the Taylor series expansion.

How is a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate calculated?

A Maclaurin remainder interval estimate is calculated using the formula R_n(x) = f(x) - P_n(x), where R_n(x) represents the remainder, f(x) is the original function, and P_n(x) is the polynomial approximation of the function up to the nth degree.

What is the purpose of using a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate?

The purpose of using a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate is to obtain an approximation of the value of a function at a specific point. It is particularly useful when the function cannot be easily evaluated or when it is necessary to obtain a quick estimate without using complicated methods.

What are the limitations of a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate?

A Maclaurin remainder interval estimate is only accurate up to a certain degree – the higher the degree of the polynomial used, the more accurate the estimate will be. Also, it is only applicable for functions that have a valid Maclaurin series expansion.

How is the accuracy of a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate determined?

The accuracy of a Maclaurin remainder interval estimate can be determined by calculating the Taylor series remainder, which is the difference between the actual value of the function and the value obtained from the polynomial approximation. The smaller the remainder, the more accurate the estimate.