Mac Help: Installing Adium for Monique

• Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of installing a Mac application, specifically Adium, which is an IM client. The program is downloaded as a .dmg file, which is a disc image that automatically mounts and creates a virtual drive on the desktop. The instructions for installation are provided within the Adium window, where the application icon is simply copied and dragged to the applications folder. The virtual drive and .dmg file can then be deleted, leaving the program fully installed. The conversation also suggests practicing this process and provides a link to download Adium.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I'm putting this here so I can use the tags.

Monique, I'm going to help you through a sample application install. In this case, I've downloaded the application "Adium," which is an IM client. Here is the desktop after I've done so:

[ATTACH=full]116167[/ATTACH]

The program has not installed to the desktop. What has happened is that mac applications download as .dmg files instead of .exe files, like in Windows. A .dmg is a disc image, pretty much an exact copy of the readable side of a CD-Rom. Once downloaded, the image mounts automatically and you get the virtual drive, which is pretty much the same thing as having a CD-Rom on your desktop.

I chose Adium because it actually gives you instructions on how to install. As you can see in the Adium window, all you have to do is copy the application icon from the virtual disc to wherever you want it to install, generally the applications folder. Here is my desktop with the applications folder open:

[ATTACH=full]116168[/ATTACH]

All you do is click and drag the icon (the duck, in this case) from the drive to the application folder, and the program is installed. After doing this, all you have to do is close the application folder, then click and drag the virtual disc and .dmg file to the trash. Here is my desktop with these two items in my trash:

[ATTACH=full]116169[/ATTACH]

And you're done. Simple as that. If you want to be able to open the application from your dock, then all you have to do is click and drag it from the application folder to the dock (the icon will still remain in the application folder as well).

Attachments

• Desk1.jpg
    Desk1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Desk2.jpg
    Desk2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Desk3.jpg
    Desk3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 173
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, here is the desktop after I've opened the program, just to show you that the virtual drive won't come back.

Desk4.jpg

I think what you are doing is simply moving the .dmg file to your applications folder, instead of the application itself. The application itself is simply the application icon found inside of the virtual drive. Why don't you try installing Adium for practice? You can get it here:

www.adiumx.com

I would like to provide some additional information about the installation process for Adium. While the steps outlined in the instructions are correct, there are a few things to keep in mind when installing applications on a Mac.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that the application you are downloading is from a trusted source. This can help prevent any potential security risks or viruses from being installed on your computer.

Secondly, when you open the .dmg file, make sure to read the instructions provided by the application. Some applications may require additional steps for installation, such as running an installer or entering a license key.

Lastly, it is always a good idea to check for updates for your applications. This can help ensure that you have the latest version with any bug fixes or new features.

Overall, installing applications on a Mac is a straightforward process, but it is important to follow the instructions provided and be cautious when downloading from unknown sources.

Related to Mac Help: Installing Adium for Monique

1. What is Adium and why would Monique need it?

Adium is a free and open-source instant messaging application for Mac computers. It allows users to connect to multiple chat services, such as Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, and more, all in one place. Monique may need it to easily communicate with friends and family who use different chat services.

2. How do I install Adium on Monique's Mac?

To install Adium, go to the official website and download the latest version. Once the download is complete, double-click the .dmg file and follow the installation instructions. Adium should then be ready to use on Monique's Mac.

3. Can Adium be customized to Monique's preferences?

Yes, Adium offers various customization options such as changing the interface theme, setting up notifications, and adding or removing chat services. Monique can also download additional themes and plugins to further personalize her Adium experience.

4. Is Adium safe to use?

Yes, Adium is a safe and trusted application. It uses end-to-end encryption for messaging, and its open-source nature allows for constant security updates and improvements.

5. Can Monique use Adium on multiple devices?

Yes, Adium is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems, so Monique can use it on multiple devices. However, the chat services she adds to Adium will need to be set up on each device separately.