Mac Computer Electrical Interference

In summary, the conversation is about connecting a macbook pro to a standard HD TV and a guitar amplifier for video and audio output. However, when the HDMI cable is connected to the mac's display port, there is a loud buzzing noise through the amplifier. The suggestion is to try plugging the HDMI cable into the TV first and then the Mac, or to connect a ground cable between the computer and amplifier. It is also mentioned that this could be a "ground loop" issue, which may require further research for a solution.
ThirdDegree
I am trying to play a movie from my macbook pro with the video to a standard HD tv and the audio to a guitar amplifier.

I connected the guitar amplifier to my macbook pro through a 1/4" to headphone jack cable and the sound outputted to the amp was fine, just as I wanted it. As soon as I connect the HDMI cable to the mac's display port, an insistent, loud buzzing is heard through the amp, instantly going away when you unplug the display port cable. Can someone explain to me why this happening and if there is anything I can do about it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What happens if you plug the HDMI cable into the TV first, then into the Mac? You could try connecting a ground cable between the computer and the amplifier case, and maybe the TV, although I'm not sure if there's a good grounding point for the TV.

sounds like you've got a "ground loop" in your circuit. they're not that easy to deal with sometimes, but perhaps if you search the forum or google, someone with more experience on them can give you an idea.

Related to Mac Computer Electrical Interference

What is "Mac Computer Electrical Interference"?

"Mac Computer Electrical Interference" refers to the phenomenon where a Mac computer may experience disruptions or malfunctions due to external sources of electrical interference.

What are the common sources of electrical interference for Mac computers?

The most common sources of electrical interference for Mac computers include nearby electronic devices, such as routers, wireless speakers, or cell phones, as well as power lines and faulty electrical wiring.

How does electrical interference affect a Mac computer?

Electrical interference can cause a range of issues for Mac computers, including slow performance, freezing or crashing, distorted audio or video, and data loss. It can also damage internal components over time.

How can I prevent or minimize electrical interference for my Mac computer?

To prevent or minimize electrical interference, you can try moving your Mac computer away from other electronic devices, unplugging unnecessary devices from power outlets, and ensuring that your electrical wiring is properly grounded.

What should I do if my Mac computer is experiencing electrical interference?

If you suspect that your Mac computer is being affected by electrical interference, you can try troubleshooting steps such as resetting the SMC (System Management Controller), updating your software and firmware, or using a surge protector. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional assistance.