M_p^3 = \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2Solve Binary Star Mass Homework Equation

In summary, for a binary star system with one star having mass ##M_s##, speed ##V_s##, and period ##P##, the mass of the other star can be calculated using the equation ##M_P^3 \approx \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2##. This is derived by substituting ##PV_s=2\pi a_s## and using Kepler's second law. The mass of the planet is usually negligible compared to the mass of the star.
unscientific

Homework Statement

96yhwo.png
How do I show that for a binary star system, if one star has mass ##M_s##, speed ##V_s##, period ##P##, the mass of the other star is given by: ##M_P^3 \approx \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{GM_pM_s}{(a_p+a_s)^2} = \frac{M_s v_s^2}{a_s}[/tex]
Substituting in ##PV_s=2\pi a_s##:
[tex]M_p = \frac{2\pi(a_p+a_s)^2V_s}{PG}[/tex]
Using kepler's second law: ## P^2 = \frac{(a_p+a_s)^3(2\pi)^2}{G(M_p+M_s)} ##:
[tex]M_p^3 = \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} P (M_p+M_s)^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems correct to me. The mass of the planet is more often than not negligible compared to the mass of a star, so [itex] M_{p} << M_{S}[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Fightfish said:
Seems correct to me. The mass of the planet is more often than not negligible compared to the mass of a star, so [itex] M_{p} << M_{S}[/itex]

Thanks alot! I'm doing an introductory course to my first ever astrophysics module, so I'm not quite familiar with these things.

Related to M_p^3 = \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2Solve Binary Star Mass Homework Equation

1. What does the equation M_p^3 = \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2 represent?

This equation represents the mass ratio of two stars in a binary star system, where M_p is the mass of the smaller star, V_s is the orbital velocity of the smaller star, G is the gravitational constant, P is the orbital period, and M_s is the mass of the larger star.

2. How is the equation M_p^3 = \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2 derived?

This equation is derived from Newton's law of gravitation and Kepler's third law, which state that the force of gravity between two objects is proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, and that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. What is the significance of the mass ratio in a binary star system?

The mass ratio is important because it can provide information about the formation and evolution of the stars in the system. It can also help determine the stability and future evolution of the system.

4. Can the equation M_p^3 = \frac{V_s^3}{2\pi G} PM_s^2 be applied to all binary star systems?

No, this equation is specifically applicable to binary systems where the orbital motion is circular and the stars are in a close orbit. For more complex systems, different equations and methods may be needed to determine the mass ratio.

5. How is this equation useful in the study of binary stars?

This equation allows scientists to calculate the mass ratio of binary stars, which can provide valuable information about the physical properties and dynamics of the system. It can also be used to make predictions about the future evolution of the stars and their potential to form other objects such as planets.