M.D. getting engineering degree

In summary: If you want to pursue a career in medical device engineering, you should pursue a degree in engineering.
docwithabox
Hello all (first time posting)

I've been reading these forums for awhile now and always find them interesting. I have a general question I'd like to throw out for some opinions. I have an MD degree and have been working for about 15 years (44 years old now). For several years, I have been feeling the urge to return to school and study science much deeper than I already have. My math skills from high school were worse than bad, and I did very little in college. I got into med school without a bachelor's and the rest is history.

My father has a PhD in Mech. Eng. with much high profile stuff (government, IPOs, consulting, political stuff) and has offered me lots of encouragement and advice. I am exploring Biomedical Engineering. I spoke with the director of one of the schools here (in Massachusetts) who said as long as I fulfilled the math requirement (which isn't a problem) I would have no difficulty getting into the program.

What interests me most is exploring quantum mechanics/effects and how it has affected the evolution of biomedical systems, and more precisely, how we can harness this info to design ways to alter disease progression, augment bodily functions, etc. An industry position would be fine with me, although I think I'd find alphabet soup applications equally interesting.

I guess my question would be: Does anyone have any opinion as to whether a PhD in Bio. Eng. is the best way to go about pursuing these ideas or would some alternate track be more advantageous. My father told me once he almost got his PhD in math but wanted engineering on his diploma. I've heard this from another friend, too (who may very well be on this forum somewhere)

Comments? Questions? Criticisms?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Often what your degree says can be more-or-less just a placeholder.

You're in a different position than others who commonly post on these forums. If you were a young student who had no career and no education, it would be a good idea to pursue the PhD for certain. You of course, have a career. I don't know if you're looking for a change or if you just want to pursue these interests on the side, but I'm assuming you're at a stage where this desire is driven more by self-interest than a need for survival. And to that end, you more-or-less just need to get involved in the research.

So one option might be a PhD. That would mean getting all the undergrad courses under your belt required for admission. If you're interested in working on devices at the quantum mechanical level, you'll need more than just the math - ie. an introductory course in quantum mechanics. Then you have to remember that it takes about 5 years of full-time work to get a PhD. Are you willing to put this kind of time in? If you do it part-time, it will stretch out even longer.

Another option might be looking for ways you could contribute to this kind of research from a medical perspective. I might recommend attending a conference or two where work is being done in this field. You could find other physicians who are working in it, see how they are contributing, and approach it from that perspective.

You seem to find yourself in the opposite position many of my colleagues are in. It seems that once a month I lose an engineer to med school. This seems to be an occupational hazard to working in the medical device industry, some percentage of engineers choose invest the time and money in med school to start a second career after they meet our physician consultants.

You path should depend on what you want to do. Do you most of all want to learn the skills and knowledge necessary to be an engineer? Then another degree would be the way to go. It might be hard to find a program that is doing what you want. Most BioE stuff that I know of is prosthetics, electrical or cellular. If you really want to blaze the research path, a PhD would help. However, if you want to act like an engineer, i.e. design some new device, then you might not need another degree.

All medical device companies big and small either hire MDs as consultants, or have appropriate expertise on staff. If you can find someone who is doing the kind of research you are interested in, I would suggest you partner with them. It is probably more efficient if you bring medical knowledge to a partnership with an excellent engineer than try to master all that knowledge yourself. I am not suggesting that you cannot do this, or that it would not be interesting. What I am saying is that you could spend a very long time learning to be a really good engineer in order to pursue your dream, or you could start sooner and learn some things on the way.

Networking is crucially important. You need to find the right people. Choppy's suggestion about conferences is good. I don't know what your specialty is, but I was at SVS in Chicago, and all the major companies and tons of minor ones where there just waiting to be chatted up. You might also look into the current state of research in this area in order to find a professor to partner with.

Choppy and Ben,

thank you for the replies and your thoughts. These are exactly the kind of considered opinions I was looking forward to.

Choppy: I will look into conferences. Any in particular come to mind for you?
Ben: Any leads on lists of medical device companies, or a good place to start?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

What you are interested in doing is outside of my experience. I don't know of anyone working on quantum medical applications, but usually we all keep our secrets to ourselves. =)

http://canontradeshows.com/expo/west11/" is a trade show for the design and manufacture of medical devices. If you check out the list of companies that attend the show, that may give you some leads. If you can go to one of the shows, you may be able to speak with someone in the field. This is probably a long shot, however. I think the list of companies might be more useful.

Another possibility is to look into likely university programs, and then see if they are collaborating with any startups. An example of what I am thinking of is http://www.bu.edu/bme/research/centers/cnn/" That's not exactly right, but it's close. You would have to see what they are working on and then try to make some connections with the researchers if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong, but I would imagine that you could find employment in a biomedical engineering/technology related field without any additional degrees. I don't think anyone would mind having an M.D. on staff; they're probably hard to come by!

Related to M.D. getting engineering degree

What is an M.D. getting an engineering degree?

An M.D. getting an engineering degree refers to a medical doctor (M.D.) pursuing an additional degree in engineering. This can be done for various reasons, such as combining medical knowledge with engineering principles for research or pursuing a career in medical technology.

Why would someone with an M.D. want to get an engineering degree?

There are several reasons why someone with an M.D. may want to get an engineering degree. They may be interested in medical technology, which requires knowledge of both medicine and engineering. They may also want to pursue research in the medical field that involves engineering principles, or they may simply have a passion for both medicine and engineering.

What are the benefits of an M.D. getting an engineering degree?

The benefits of an M.D. getting an engineering degree include a deeper understanding of medical technology and the ability to apply engineering principles to medical research. This can also open up new career opportunities in industries that require a combination of medical and engineering knowledge.

How long does it take to get an engineering degree as an M.D.?

The length of time it takes to get an engineering degree as an M.D. can vary depending on the specific program and the individual's schedule. Some programs may offer accelerated options for those with prior medical knowledge, while others may take the standard 4-5 years for undergraduate studies and an additional 2-3 years for a master's degree.

Are there any challenges for an M.D. pursuing an engineering degree?

As with any dual degree program, there can be challenges for an M.D. pursuing an engineering degree. Balancing the coursework and schedules of both programs can be difficult, and the coursework may be more technical and math-heavy than what the individual is used to as a medical student. However, with dedication and time management, these challenges can be overcome.