M.A.Sc. or B.Eng? Engineering Career Advice

• Thread starter Jemaine
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is considering a career in engineering and is weighing the options between pursuing an M.ASc program or an undergraduate degree. They have an interest in aerospace and have been researching engineering programs at various universities. They are also taking additional classes to boost their average and considering the cost and potential for gaining work experience through a co-op program. The individual is also considering the potential need for a P.Eng license and the additional requirements for this with an M.ASc degree.
Jemaine
I'm sure you guys are sick of questions like these but I thought that I should ask anyway. Earlier this year I graduated with a B.Sc. joint major in Physics and Applied Math and while I enjoyed most of the program the job search since graduating has me doubting whether or not I would be happy with most of the usual career paths. Recently I have been considering the prospect of an engineering career and I am trying to weigh my options. As much as I enjoy sciences I would rather work in an industry that would allow me to be a little creative. The course I perhaps enjoyed most was an engineering design course I took while deciding on a major. I also have a great interest in aviation (I spent my summers flying as a teenager) so an aerospace career also interests me. Over the past few months I have been looking into engineering related M.A.Sc. programs at universities such as Carlton, McMaster and UBC. This would seem like the best option however my average is just meeting the minimum requirements now which obviously doesn't give me much of a competitive advantage. At the advice of a former professor I'm taking classes to give my average a boost (both retaking previous courses and some new ones). Realistically I imagine that my average would be around 78% after the winter semester. I guess my question is am I wasting my time? Would it be more realistic to do and engineering undergrad? It would take longer (five years vs three) but it is a coop program so I would at least gain some work experience from it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you anticipating needing to be a licensed engineer with a P.Eng? If so the pathway with a M.ASc is much less straightforward than with a B.Eng/B.ASc It can be done but you have to write a bunch of additional exams and jump through more hoops since the primary requirement for a P.Eng is an undergraduate engineering degree. If you don't anticipate needing your P.Eng I would think the masters route would make more sense. An additional consideration is can you be accepted directly into an engineering M.ASc. directly with a B.Sc. or will you be required to pick up some undergraduate Engineering courses first? If so that will add more time on to your degree making the two programs closer in terms of time to completion. Lastly I would consider cost. While co-op can help offset some of the costs of an undergraduate engineering degree, tuition for engineering programs is typically in the $12-14k/per year. Graduate programs are often funded and as such wouldn't cost you anything to complete.

If the pay matters too, then I would go for a MSc; it's something I'd like to do too, and I'm already working in aerospace with an undergraduate degree, but there are good points given above I didn't have to consider since I'm in the US and my work does not require a PE or similar/equivalent.

Related to M.A.Sc. or B.Eng? Engineering Career Advice

1. What is the difference between an M.A.Sc. and B.Eng degree in engineering?

An M.A.Sc. (Master of Applied Science) is a graduate degree that focuses on conducting research in a specific area of engineering. It typically requires a thesis or research project, and is often a prerequisite for pursuing a PhD. A B.Eng (Bachelor of Engineering) is an undergraduate degree that provides a broad foundation in engineering principles and prepares students for entry-level engineering positions.

2. Which degree is more beneficial for an engineering career?

Both an M.A.Sc. and B.Eng degree can lead to successful engineering careers. The choice ultimately depends on an individual's career goals. An M.A.Sc. may be more beneficial for those interested in research and development roles, while a B.Eng may be more suitable for those seeking hands-on engineering positions.

3. Can I pursue an M.A.Sc. without a B.Eng degree?

In most cases, a B.Eng degree is a prerequisite for an M.A.Sc. program. However, some universities may offer direct-entry M.A.Sc. programs for exceptional students with a strong foundation in a related field. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program and speak with an advisor to determine eligibility.

4. Will having an M.A.Sc. degree increase my salary in the engineering industry?

Having an M.A.Sc. degree can lead to higher salaries in the engineering industry, particularly in research and development roles. However, factors such as experience, industry, and location also play a significant role in determining salary. It is important to research the salary ranges for your specific field and location to determine the potential impact of an M.A.Sc. degree on your earnings.

5. Can I switch from a B.Eng to an M.A.Sc program?

It is possible to transfer from a B.Eng to an M.A.Sc program, but it may require additional coursework and prerequisites. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine the specific requirements and feasibility of transferring to an M.A.Sc program. It is also important to consider the time and financial commitments of pursuing an additional degree.