{m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point

In summary, the notation "{m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point" represents a sequence of numbers starting with m and each subsequent term being calculated by adding 1 to m and dividing by n, where n is a natural number. The limit point of this sequence is determined by finding the value that the terms approach as n approaches infinity. Having M as the ONLY limit point means the sequence approaches one specific value, allowing for precise calculations and predictions. The value of m affects the starting point and rate of approach to the limit point, but the sequence will always have M as its ONLY limit point. This notation can also be used to create sequences with different limit points by changing the value
faradayslaw

Homework Statement

I wish to show {m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point

Homework Equations

Rationals dense in reals

The Attempt at a Solution

Let M = {m+1/n|n is a natural}.
I can easily show, by archemidean principle of Reals that m is a limit point of M. I need to show no other real y is a limit point.

I try to define a set of points K= {j| j is in M and d(j,y) <= d(k,y) for all k in M).

Essentially if I have that K is nonempty, then since 0<d(y,k) for all k in K, there is q in Q s.t. 0<q<d(y,k) for all k in K, and so a neighborhood of radius q/2 and center at y contains no points of M -> y is NOT a limit point of M.

THe problem I realized is that m is a number not in M, and so the above situation could be applied to m replacing y in the above, and that I really need to show that the d(j,y) can not be taken arbitrarily small i.e. that K is non empty for y =/= m. I am unsure on how to do this and any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Scientist

Dear Scientist,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and approach to this problem. Your use of the Archimedean principle is a good start in showing that m is a limit point of M. To show that no other real number is a limit point, you can use a proof by contradiction.

Assume there exists another real number y that is a limit point of M, where y ≠ m. This means that for any ε > 0, there exists a point j in M such that 0 < |j - y| < ε. However, since M = {m+1/n|n is a natural}, we can choose a natural number n such that |m+1/n - y| < ε. This implies that |m - y| < ε, which contradicts our assumption that y ≠ m.

Therefore, we have shown that m is the only limit point of M, and we can conclude that M = {m+1/n|n is a natural} has M as its only limit point.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your scientific pursuits.Your colleague

Related to {m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point

1. What does the notation "{m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point" mean?

The notation "{m+1/n|n is a natural} given m a natural has M as ONLY limit point" refers to a sequence of numbers in which the first term is equal to m, and each subsequent term is calculated by adding 1 to m and dividing by n, where n is a natural number. This sequence has a limit point of M, meaning that as n approaches infinity, the terms in the sequence will get closer and closer to the value of M.

2. How is the limit point of a sequence determined?

The limit point of a sequence is determined by finding the value that the terms in the sequence approach as the index of the sequence (represented by n) approaches infinity. This can also be thought of as the "end behavior" of the sequence, as the values get closer and closer to the limit point as n gets larger and larger.

3. What is the significance of having M as the ONLY limit point of this sequence?

If a sequence has only one limit point, it means that the terms in the sequence are constantly approaching and getting closer to one specific value (M). This can be useful in mathematical and scientific applications, as it allows for precise calculations and predictions of future values in the sequence.

4. How does the value of m affect the sequence and its limit point?

The value of m dictates the starting point of the sequence and can have an impact on the limit point. For example, if m is a larger number, the terms in the sequence may approach the limit point of M at a faster rate. However, regardless of the value of m, the sequence will still have M as its ONLY limit point.

5. Can sequences with different limit points be created using this notation?

Yes, sequences with different limit points can be created using this notation by changing the value of M. As long as the sequence is of the form "{m+1/n|n is a natural}" and the limit point is a finite number, this notation can be used to create a variety of sequences with different limit points.