Luminosity determining E Field

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in determining how the luminosity affects the amplitude of the electric field at a specific distance. They mention that irradiance and amplitude are linked, but they do not have the necessary information. They provide the luminosity of the sun and the distance they want to calculate the amplitude at, and ask for hints or clarification. The other person responds by stating that the two factors are not related and questioning where the speaker's question came from.
NathanC
I'm trying to determine how the luminosity affects the amplitude of the resulting E field at a given distance. I know that the irradiance and amplitude are linked by the fact that the irradiance is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the E field but I don't have that.
I have luminosity of the sun 3.9E26W and want the amplitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.5e11 m away (the top of the Earth's atmosphere).
Anyone give me any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
they're not related, where did your question came from? i guess you misunderstand the question

The luminosity of a source, such as the sun, refers to the total amount of energy emitted per unit time. In the case of the sun, this is equal to 3.9E26 watts. The irradiance, on the other hand, refers to the amount of energy per unit area received by a surface. This is related to the amplitude of the electric field by the equation E = sqrt(I/ε), where E is the amplitude of the electric field, I is the irradiance, and ε is the permittivity of the medium.

To determine the amplitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.5E11 m away from the sun, we can use the inverse square law, which states that the irradiance is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that the irradiance at a distance of 1.5E11 m will be 1/((1.5E11)^2) = 4.44E-22 times the irradiance at the surface of the sun.

Using the value of the sun's luminosity and the inverse square law, we can calculate the irradiance at the top of the Earth's atmosphere, which is equal to 8.78E-3 watts/m^2. Plugging this value into the equation for electric field amplitude, we get E = sqrt(8.78E-3/ε). The permittivity of air at standard temperature and pressure is approximately 8.85E-12 F/m, so the amplitude of the electric field at a distance of 1.5E11 m away from the sun is approximately 1.05E-5 volts/m.

In summary, the luminosity of a source does not directly affect the amplitude of the electric field at a given distance. However, it does affect the irradiance, which in turn affects the amplitude of the electric field. By using the inverse square law and the equation for electric field amplitude, we can determine the amplitude of the electric field at a given distance from a source with a known luminosity.

Related to Luminosity determining E Field

1. What is luminosity?

Luminosity is a measure of the total amount of energy emitted by a source, such as a star, per unit time. It is often expressed in terms of the Sun's luminosity, which is equivalent to 3.828 x 10^26 watts.

2. How is luminosity determined?

Luminosity can be determined by measuring the amount of energy emitted in different wavelengths of light. This is typically done using a spectrophotometer, which breaks down light into its component wavelengths and measures their intensity.

3. What is an E field?

An E field, or electric field, is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is typically represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction.

4. How does luminosity determine E field?

The luminosity of a source can determine the strength of the electric field it creates. This is because luminosity is directly related to the amount of energy emitted, and the electric field is created by the movement of charged particles, which require energy to do so.

5. Can luminosity be used to measure the strength of an E field?

Yes, luminosity can be used to indirectly measure the strength of an E field. By measuring the luminosity of a source and knowing its distance from the observer, the electric field strength at that distance can be calculated using the inverse square law.