LR Circuit with resistors in parallel

In summary: This equivalent resistance will be this resistance that the inductor sees from its source of voltage or current. It's the resistance that goes into the time constant calculation.
OtherWindow

Homework Statement

RL.png

Homework Equations

V = IR

I = V/R (1 - e^(-t / τ))

τ = L / R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm so thrown off by these two problems. Every example I have done has nothing in parallel and it is simple, but my homework question involves having to do a much more difficult problem.

I've tried just plugging things in, but I cannot figure out which values of R go in.

If I(t) is the current in the inductor branch, then I think I(t) = I_max * (1 = e^(-t/τ))
From looking at t -> ∞, I calculated the total equivalent resistance as 25/3 ohms and got that the total current would be 4.2 Amperes, then the current going through the inductor branch is 1.2 Amperes (at infinity).

I tried 1.2 (1 - e^(-t / (τ) ))
and using τ = 4.2 / (25/3)
and I've tried using τ = 4.2 / 10

I tried setting up loop-rule equations for the outer loop and the lower half + a sum of currents equation, but I am fairly confident that doing this is not the best way to go about the problem. (and solving that is far beyond ap physics)

I understand equivalent resistance + equations for inductance + ohm's law, so no need to have to reexplain those things. (unless I did something wrong with them)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your current Imax doesn't look right. Can you show your calculation?

Are you familiar with Thevenin equivalents? This would be an excellent tool here.

I'm not familiar with those, but I know they don't appear on any of the notes I have, nor are they in the syllabus.

Anywho, equivalent resistance is 25/3. (1 / (1/10 + 1/5) ) + 5 = 8.333...

V = IR
I = V/R

I get that total current (at the battery) = 35 / 8.3333...
Itotal = 4.2 Amperes

At t-> infinity, the inductor acts like a wire, so I can ignore it for calculating I through the branches.

the 4.2 amperes splits off in two branches, 2/3 of it going to the to and 1/3 going to the bottom, which should give the two branches the same potential difference.

So 4.2 * 1/3 = 1.4 Amperes

I typed 1.2 above, but my work on paper says 1.4, so I think that was just a typo. I am still not sure where to go with plugging in the R values.

My guess is that the time constant needs to include all of the R-values, because I would think that the other resistances play a factor in how quickly the current is going to change.

OtherWindow said:
I'm not familiar with those, but I know they don't appear on any of the notes I have, nor are they in the syllabus.

Anywho, equivalent resistance is 25/3. (1 / (1/10 + 1/5) ) + 5 = 8.333...
Okay, total resistance as "seen" by the battery. Good.
V = IR
I = V/R

I get that total current (at the battery) = 35 / 8.3333...
Itotal = 4.2 Amperes
Yup. That's good.
At t-> infinity, the inductor acts like a wire, so I can ignore it for calculating I through the branches.

the 4.2 amperes splits off in two branches, 2/3 of it going to the to and 1/3 going to the bottom, which should give the two branches the same potential difference.

So 4.2 * 1/3 = 1.4 Amperes
Yes, good again.
I typed 1.2 above, but my work on paper says 1.4, so I think that was just a typo. I am still not sure where to go with plugging in the R values.

My guess is that the time constant needs to include all of the R-values, because I would think that the other resistances play a factor in how quickly the current is going to change.
Okay, putting aside the Thevenin equivalent thing but borrowing a bit of its power, suppose you were to pull the inductor out of the circuit and look into the network at its connection points. What equivalent resistance would you see? NOTE: For this exercise you want to "suppress" the sources. That means you can replace the voltage source with a short circuit (a piece of wire). if there had been a current source you could have replaced it with an open circuit -- that is, simply removed it.

This equivalent resistance will be this resistance that the inductor sees from its source of voltage or current. It's the resistance that goes into the time constant calculation.

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by calculating the total equivalent resistance of the circuit, taking into account the parallel resistors. Then, use the equation V=IR to find the total current in the circuit. From there, you can use the equations for inductance and the current equation for an LR circuit to solve for the current in the inductor branch. Remember to take into account the time constant and the initial conditions of the circuit. It may also be helpful to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and variables before starting to solve the problem. Good luck!

Related to LR Circuit with resistors in parallel

1. What is an LR circuit with resistors in parallel?

An LR circuit with resistors in parallel is an electrical circuit that contains both inductors (L) and resistors (R) connected in parallel. This means that the components share the same two endpoints, with the current splitting into multiple pathways.

2. How does an LR circuit with resistors in parallel behave?

An LR circuit with resistors in parallel behaves similarly to a regular parallel circuit, with the added effect of inductance. This means that the current will be divided among the different pathways, and the inductance will cause a time delay in the current reaching its maximum value.

3. What is the equation for calculating the total resistance in an LR circuit with resistors in parallel?

The equation for calculating the total resistance in an LR circuit with resistors in parallel is: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 +...+ 1/Rn. This is the same equation used to calculate total resistance in a regular parallel circuit.

4. How does inductance affect the behavior of an LR circuit with resistors in parallel?

Inductance affects the behavior of an LR circuit with resistors in parallel by causing a time delay in the current reaching its maximum value. This is due to the inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field, which resists changes in current flow.

5. What is the time constant in an LR circuit with resistors in parallel?

The time constant in an LR circuit with resistors in parallel is equal to the product of the total resistance (Rt) and the total inductance (Lt). It represents the time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its maximum value in an LR circuit.