Low Previous GPA and Biophysics Grad-Canada

In summary, the individual has a low GPA from their undergraduate studies in Canada and attended an offshore medical school where they excelled academically due to a change in attitude. They are now interested in pursuing a career in biophysics and have been researching Canadian universities. However, they are concerned about their low GPA and are considering taking more undergraduate courses to improve their academic standing. They are also planning to follow a physics major outline and take additional physics and math courses to strengthen their application for graduate school. They are wondering how graduate schools will view their academic history and the additional courses they plan to take.
Tigger9
To summarize my life, I did undergrad in Canada graduated in Chemistry/Biology with a low and embarrassing GPA. Went to an offshore medical school for two years and once very unhappy- luckily I did very well there due to a change in attitude about academics. After much research I would like to go into biophysics. I have been looking into Canadian Universities - McMaster/York/etc and been discussing my options with several people.

Since they will be looking at my academic scores from undergrad only. Since my GPA is way to low, I was wondering whether its worth it to take a full year of undergrad credits to offset my final year GPA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the biophysics I'm familiar with has a strong emphasis on the physics - so you may be looking at some time in undergrad just to be able to qualify to get in. On top of that, the other question is: how low is low? If you're not competitive, then you'll have to go back to undergrad to get your GPA into a competitive range.

Thanks for the advice. When I say bad I mean bad, aka 60s throughout undergrad and a couple of Ds.

The plan is to go back to undergrad for at least 4-6 semesters, including summers starting January 2014. I really need to get a bunch of physics courses done. I'm hoping to get accepted into a Canadian program that uses final or last two years GPA for admission. I'm also planning on following the physics major outline at my old school, so that I get enough physics courses. I will have 7 upper level undergrad physics courses and 5 math courses.

I just wonder how grad schools treat people who had low UG, then take a bunch of courses to offset those marks.

Related to Low Previous GPA and Biophysics Grad-Canada

What is considered a low previous GPA in biophysics for a graduate program in Canada?

A low previous GPA for a graduate program in biophysics in Canada is typically considered to be below a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, this may vary depending on the specific university and program.

How much will my low previous GPA affect my chances of getting into a biophysics graduate program in Canada?

While a low previous GPA may make it more difficult to get accepted into a biophysics graduate program in Canada, it is not the only factor considered by admissions committees. Things like research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement can also play a significant role in the decision-making process.

Are there any ways to offset a low previous GPA when applying to a biophysics graduate program in Canada?

Yes, there are a few ways to offset a low previous GPA. One option is to retake relevant courses and aim for a higher grade. Another option is to gain research experience in the field of biophysics and showcase your skills and knowledge in your application. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also help to offset a low GPA.

What can I do to improve my chances of being accepted into a biophysics graduate program in Canada with a low previous GPA?

Aside from the suggestions mentioned above, it is important to thoroughly research the programs you are interested in and tailor your application to each specific program. This can include highlighting relevant coursework, research experience, and skills that make you a strong candidate for the program. It may also be helpful to reach out to the admissions committee and express your interest in the program and your dedication to improving your academic performance.

Are there any specific biophysics graduate programs in Canada that are more open to applicants with a low previous GPA?

It is difficult to say which specific programs may be more open to applicants with a low previous GPA, as each program and university may have different criteria and considerations. However, it may be beneficial to research and apply to programs with a strong focus on research and practical experience, as these programs may place less emphasis on GPA and more on other factors such as research potential and skills.