Love Sci-Fi? Discuss Metal Gear Solid Games

In summary: I was impressed at it's terrain mobility as well as the recovery from being shoved by the operator.Yeah, I was also.
DaemonStudent
Does anybody else love science fiction? Does it involve bipedal machines? Did you really like all of the Metal Gear Solid games? I ditto all of the above!

But one question strikes me (besides asking myself if Hal Emerich scientific lingo actually makes sense) how will we power these creations? If you look at Rex it is more "mechanical" then Ray and the rest of the later monsters that Kojima created. Will that make it easier to create? All of the later machines seem to have an almost biomechanical "feel" to them. The Arms Tech Irving has legs that had muscles. Yes, they also spurt blood when you shoot them but could any of this be possible.

There was a robot that I read about called BigDog by Boston Dynamics. It's pretty sweet. It's on the lowest of the low compared to the machines in the games we play but it seems to be on the right track (besides it being powered by what seems to sound like a lawn mower). Hopefully somebody posts on this and I don't look like a giant nerd...

Attachments

• 10784-Metal gear RAY_super.jpg
    10784-Metal gear RAY_super.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 420
  • metal-gear-rex.jpg
    metal-gear-rex.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowest of the low? I was pretty impressed with the Big Dog.

TheStatutoryApe said:

That's pretty cool. I want to see how hard it can punch. I bet it could do one of those movie-like punches where the guy goes flying. Except in real life, there's no getting up from one of those.

Pythagorean said:
Lowest of the low? I was pretty impressed with the Big Dog.

I mean BigDog is one of the greater machines out there that can mimic that kind of fluid motion. I'm not trying to say that BigDog is the lowest of the low. I'm saying that in comparison its a small step.

TheStatutoryApe said:

That was pretty sweet. That battery pack looks awfully clunky. Those models of could be designs look quite promising. I'm pretty sure those will be as autonomous as the UAVs of today aka not really at all. Anyways having a plane being autonomous is a lot easier then having a humanoid robot doing the same. Flight takes a lot less functions then beings a functional human in a combat zone. I guess that goes into the realms of AI. I don't know if I want to go there...

DaemonStudent said:
I mean BigDog is one of the greater machines out there that can mimic that kind of fluid motion. I'm not trying to say that BigDog is the lowest of the low. I'm saying that in comparison its a small step.

I was impressed at it's terrain mobility as well as the recovery from being shoved by the operator.

Yeah, I was also. Thinking about Newton's each action has an equal and opposite reaction, could the BigDog kick back at the same force that it was kicked? Because the force to move the dog would have to be balanced out by the dogs force to right itself?

Related to Love Sci-Fi? Discuss Metal Gear Solid Games

1. What is the plot of the Metal Gear Solid Games?

The Metal Gear Solid Games follow the story of Solid Snake, a special operations soldier who is tasked with stopping a group of terrorists from launching a nuclear strike. As the series progresses, the plot delves into themes of political corruption, genetic manipulation, and the dangers of advanced technology.

2. How many Metal Gear Solid Games are there?

There are currently 8 main games in the Metal Gear Solid series, with the most recent being released in 2015. There are also several spin-off games and remakes.

3. Are the Metal Gear Solid Games connected or standalone?

The Metal Gear Solid Games are all interconnected and follow a single timeline, with each game building upon the events of the previous one. There are also references and callbacks to earlier games in later installments.

4. What makes the Metal Gear Solid Games unique in the sci-fi genre?

The Metal Gear Solid Games stand out in the sci-fi genre due to their intricate and thought-provoking storylines, which often touch on real-world issues such as warfare, politics, and the ethics of technology. The games also incorporate elements of stealth and tactical gameplay, adding a unique twist to the typical sci-fi action genre.

5. Can I play the Metal Gear Solid Games on modern gaming systems?

Yes, most of the Metal Gear Solid Games are available on modern gaming systems such as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Some of the earlier games may require emulation or remastered versions to be played on newer systems.

Back