Lost User Privileges: What to Do?

• Thread starter arildno2
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for asking, but I think I figured it out - I just had to be patient and wait for Greg to update it. In summary, the user has lost access privileges after updating their email address and is wondering if they have been banned. They did not receive a confirmation email and are unsure if they entered the new address correctly. They are unable to edit their profile and have reached out to Greg for assistance. A group of users worked together to help resolve the issue and the user has regained access.
arildno2
Help! User privileges lost??

Hi!

I updated my e-mail address today, and it seems I managed to delete access privileges, for example to make new posts.

Have I been banned, or something?

Arild

Physics news on Phys.org

arildno2 said:
Hi!

I updated my e-mail address today, and it seems I managed to delete access privileges, for example to make new posts.

Arild
Did you receive the confirmation e-mail? If so, did you follow the requested link?

Hootenanny said:
Did you receive the confirmation e-mail?
Nope.
Have I typed in the new address wrongly, perhaps?

You can try inputting the new address again. Wait for a confirmation e-mail and click the link in it.

Well, I am being denied permission to edit my profile, so I cannot re-type my e-mail address..

It's probably best to PM one of us the correct email address, and we can check. However, the only person who can change it is Greg, so ultimately, he'll have to make any amendments, should they be deemed necessary.

arildno2 said:
Well, I am being denied permission to edit my profile, so I cannot re-type my e-mail address..
Can you PM me the email address that you are currently using, i.e. the one you attempted to change your profile e-mail to?

Edit: cristo beat me to it.

Hey, the three Brits working together - like the three Musketeers! :-p

Okay, Cristo will get the honour!

Edit:
Sent it to Hootenanny instead.

I just notice the problem.

Greg will have to clear it up. I think I had a similar problem when I updated my profile.

arildno2 said:

Well I didn't know that. Makes sense I guess. :blushing:

According to the forum records, I HAD typed in the wrong address (a dumb mixture of old&new addresses), so I guess I'll have to wait for Greg to sort it out.

Hootenanny has received my correct e-mail address.

If the wrong email address was entered, then that is the address that received the confirmation email address. Greg will have to edit the original account.

I've come to the conclusion that it is best to notify someone that one is about to change a critical profile attribute before one actual does that - just in case!

Last edited:

Hooray, it worked!
Thanks Greg! :smile:

arildno said:
Hooray, it worked!
Thanks Greg! :smile:
Welcome back, arild!

arildno2 said:
Hi!

Arild

Wow! You still remember the log in information of this ID

Lisa! said:
Wow! You still remember the log in information of this ID
Since it is the same as the one I use regularly, sure.

Okay, okay, I am slightly conservative when it comes to passwords and suchlike..

WB arildno. :!)

Related to Lost User Privileges: What to Do?

1. What causes a user to lose their privileges?

There can be a few different reasons for a user to lose their privileges. It could be due to a security breach or violation of company policies, or it could be an error with the system or software.

2. How can I regain my lost user privileges?

The steps to regain your lost user privileges will depend on the specific situation. If it was due to a security breach or violation, you may need to go through a process of re-verification and approval. If it was an error with the system, you may need to contact your IT department for assistance.

3. Can I prevent my user privileges from being lost in the future?

There are steps you can take to help prevent the loss of your user privileges. This includes regularly updating your passwords, following company policies and procedures, and being cautious with your online activities and information.

4. How can I access the information or functions that I no longer have privileges for?

If you have lost your user privileges, you will not be able to access the information or functions that were previously available to you. It is important to work with your IT department or supervisor to regain your privileges or find alternative ways to access the needed information.

5. Is there a way to track who made changes to my user privileges?

Depending on the system or software being used, there may be a way to track changes to user privileges. This is often recorded in a log or audit trail. If you are concerned about changes being made without your knowledge, you can discuss this with your IT department or supervisor.