Lost Post on Physics Forum Thread 626787: Unexplained Disappearance

• Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary: flair... count as a reply?My preference, in order of desirability would have been:First choice: Moderator issues a public or private warning or whatever is deemed appropriate to the OP and leaves the thread intact.Second choice: Moderator issues a warning, edits out my comment about the bump, and leaves the hint. Note that the OP apparently saw my post before it was deleted and used the hint. The deletion of the hint leaves the thread incomplete.That being said, I don't really care all that much how it was handled. It doesn't affect my life much no matter what happens on PF. :smile:can you define what a post bump is? Is it merely posting again after you didn't see any response
Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
I'm sure I posted a hint in this thread and it looks like the OP used the hint:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=626787

What happened to my post?

The OP violated a PF rule by bumping his post after a very short time. Bumping a post is only allowed after 24 hours of no responses. His bump and your response both were deleted. Sorry you were collateral damage!

berkeman said:
... and your response both were deleted. Sorry you were collateral damage!

I could imagine that deleting good willing posts of homework helpers as collateral damage can be a bit discouraging to help a next time. After all it could just be a waste of effort, as the helping post can always be deleted as collateral damage. Wouldn't that be a bit against the primary objective of PF?

Andre said:
I could imagine that deleting good willing posts of homework helpers as collateral damage can be a bit discouraging to help a next time. After all it could just be a waste of effort, as the helping post can always be deleted as collateral damage. Wouldn't that be a bit against the primary objective of PF?

Agreed. But it turns out that LCKurtz' post was mostly about the premature bump itself:

LCKurtz said:
The moderators will likely slap your wrist for bumping within an hour of posting if they see it. I might try something like ##x=\sin^2\theta## and see what happens.

So hopefully LCK is okay with the deletion.

The problem with hiding and deleting is that the message gets distorted. Without this clarification homework helpers just may get the wrong impression from this thread. There is a reason for Gorbatjov's perestroika.

Yes, that is a good point. I'll undelete the bump and LCK's reply, and comment in the thread about the premature bump. That's probably a better approach after there has been a reply.

berkeman said:
Agreed. But it turns out that LCKurtz' post was mostly about the premature bump itself:

So hopefully LCK is okay with the deletion.

My preferences, in order of desirability would have been:

First choice: Moderator issues a public or private warning or whatever is deemed appropriate to the OP and leaves the thread intact.

Second choice: Moderator issues a warning, edits out my comment about the bump, and leaves the hint. Note that the OP apparently saw my post before it was deleted and used the hint. The deletion of the hint leaves the thread incomplete.

That being said, I don't really care all that much how it was handled. It doesn't affect my life much no matter what happens on PF. :smile:

can you define what a post bump is? Is it merely posting again after you didn't see any response from others?

jedishrfu said:
can you define what a post bump is? Is it merely posting again after you didn't see any response from others?

BUMP = "Bump up my post"

It refers to bumping your thread from down the page up to the top of the forum page by adding a reply. It's done to try to get the thread more attention.

The PF rules say that posters are allowed only one bump per thread, and the thread has to have not gotten any replies for 24 hours before that single bump is made.

LCKurtz said:
First choice: Moderator issues a public or private warning or whatever is deemed appropriate to the OP and leaves the thread intact.

Second choice: Moderator issues a warning, edits out my comment about the bump, and leaves the hint. Note that the OP apparently saw my post before it was deleted and used the hint. The deletion of the hint leaves the thread incomplete.

As the mentor who originally handled this case, I agree with the second choice. I should have edited your post so as to leave your hint visible. I've actually done that sort of thing in the past, but didn't do it this time because I was in a hurry, or overly irritated by the very short "bumping period", or something. Sorry about that. :blushing:

As for the first choice, I think most of us prefer to warn people privately so as not to embarass them by leaving it visible forever. One exception is when a previously productive thread seems to be veering towards excessive speculation, and we post a general public warning as a heads-up to everyone without targeting a specific person.

berkeman said:
BUMP = "Bump up my post"

It refers to bumping your thread from down the page up to the top of the forum page by adding a reply. It's done to try to get the thread more attention.

The PF rules say that posters are allowed only one bump per thread, and the thread has to have not gotten any replies for 24 hours before that single bump is made.

Does adding some extra information in next post count as bump?
<Of-course you could edit your OP, but newbies don't know about that>

I_am_learning said:
Does adding some extra information in next post count as bump?
<Of-course you could edit your OP, but newbies don't know about that>
If it was absolutely necessary in order to explain the question, that's ok.

Related to Lost Post on Physics Forum Thread 626787: Unexplained Disappearance

1. What does it mean when a post disappears?

When a post disappears, it means that it is no longer visible or accessible on the platform or website it was originally posted on. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as the post being deleted by the user who posted it, being removed by the platform's moderators, or technical issues.

2. Why do posts sometimes disappear without explanation?

The most common reason for posts disappearing without explanation is that the user who posted it deleted it. However, there are also cases where posts may be removed by the platform's moderators due to violations of community guidelines or terms of service.

3. Can posts be recovered after they have disappeared?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover a post that has disappeared. This depends on the platform or website's policies and the reason for the post's disappearance. For example, if a post was accidentally deleted by the user, they may be able to retrieve it from their account's trash or recycle bin. However, if a post was removed by moderators, it is unlikely that it can be recovered.

4. What can I do if my post keeps disappearing?

If you are experiencing issues with your posts disappearing, it is best to reach out to the platform or website's customer support team for assistance. They may be able to provide more information on why your posts are disappearing and help resolve the issue.

5. Is it possible for a post to disappear due to a glitch?

Yes, it is possible for a post to disappear due to a glitch or technical issue. This could be caused by a variety of factors, such as server errors or bugs within the platform. If you suspect that a glitch is causing your posts to disappear, it is best to report the issue to the platform's technical support team.